Boat veers left - is my steering off?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyboyZR1

I've noticed that our boat (Challenger w/twin 155hp motors) tends to veer left at higher speeds (above 20mph or so). I have to hold the steering wheel about 45 degrees to the right to keep it going straight, even in relatively calm winds (with just myself aboard). I did notice that it's not as prevalent with additional passengers in the boat or a more balanced load. As slower speeds it's not an issue at all. Is this normal, or anything I should look into? It appears the steering wheel has hex screws that might allow adjustment for this.

I think the Sea Doo boats do tend to pull, not sure I would call it 'veer'. I have had several Sea Doo PWCs and it seems they all pulled a tad. Our 210 challenger has a pull but its easily held straight with the steering wheel. I call it a pull rather than a 'veer' this may be different than your boat.

I think it is very environment-dependent. Wind, current, loading all play a roll. Did about 50 miles on the ICW yesterday and the "pull" is always changing based on those factors. Not much pull heading east to Southport with winds out of the south, more significant pull heading back west.

I have the same issue with my boat and at first thought it was due to wind or water but the more I took the boat out the more I knew it was the boat itself. I tried adjusting the cable at the nozzle end based on another thread and instructions but it didn't seem to help so I am not sure what to do at this point other than making further adjustments under the helm. The adjustment I made did seem to better center the nozzle when the steering wheel is centered but I still have the pull like you are describing. Maybe someone else will have more info on this issue that does seem to be pretty common.

I have the same issue with my boat and at first thought it was due to wind or water but the more I took the boat out the more I knew it was the boat itself. I tried adjusting the cable at the nozzle end based on another thread and instructions but it didn't seem to help so I am not sure what to do at this point other than making further adjustments under the helm. The adjustment I made did seem to better center the nozzle when the steering wheel is centered but I still have the pull like you are describing. Maybe someone else will have more info on this issue that does seem to be pretty common.

Does your boat have the pull at all speeds? How about with passengers onboard vs just yourself? Have you tried adjusting the steering wheel with the hex screws? I have noticed the pull in my boat changes with the wind direction and passenger load. However it generally starts to pull left as I accelerate above 20mph.

My understanding from other threads is that this is common for twin engine jet boats of any kind. What I read is that it is a result of both props turning the same direction causing an unbalanced torque in the boat that causes it to “pull”. I think the thread i saw was in this forum & some really good references pasted into it. I think one was from Yamaha addressing this very issue.

Does your boat have the pull at all speeds? How about with passengers onboard vs just yourself? Have you tried adjusting the steering wheel with the hex screws? I have noticed the pull in my boat changes with the wind direction and passenger load. However it generally starts to pull left as I accelerate above 20mph.

Yes, it does seem to be fine at lower speeds but definitely pulls hard to the left at higher speeds no matter the conditions. I have not adjusted the steering wheel but may look at that next. Also, my boat is a single engine which means that it is something common to both single and twin engine boats.

Yes, it does seem to be fine at lower speeds but definitely pulls hard to the left at higher speeds no matter the conditions. I have not adjusted the steering wheel but may look at that next. Also, my boat is a single engine which means that it is something common to both single and twin engine boats.

Very interesting - seems like it's a common thing so maybe it's just the nature of the beast. Please let me know if adjusting the steering wheel offers any improvement. I might try that as well.

I had similar issues on my 2012-210 SP. Checked the nozzle alignment. The right side was out. Re-aligned and its been good. Easy to do yourself. I had purchased my boat with 44 hours on it 2 years ago. It always pulled one way. Thought it was due to the wind the first few times being out but when it was calm, it was still there.

Next would be to check alignment of steering wheel as mentioned or maybe one of your motors is pulling higher/lower RPMs than the other , therefore not SYNCed.

I had similar issues on my 2012-210 SP. Checked the nozzle alignment. The right side was out. Re-aligned and its been good. Easy to do yourself. I had purchased my boat with 44 hours on it 2 years ago. It always pulled one way. Thought it was due to the wind the first few times being out but when it was calm, it was still there.

Next would be to check alignment of steering wheel as mentioned or maybe one of your motors is pulling higher/lower RPMs than the other , therefore not SYNCed.

Thanks for the info. How do you check and adjust the nozzle alignment?

There is a section in the service manual how to do it. You need a long flat bar to run across both nozzle ends so they are flush together. I don't recall entire procedure but its pretty easy.

This^^
What RPM are you getting from both engines at WOT?

Chester

The RPM's are synced and equal at WOT ... will have to look into the nozzle alignment. Anyone have a copy from the shop manual showing how to do this, or know where I can pick up a manual? Unfortunately there aren't many YouTube videos on the later model Challenger boats.

Another thing to consider is the state of both pumps. Any differential in wear ring or impeller performance could push the boat one way or the other. For instance, if you have more wear on the port wear ring than on the starboard wear ring, the starboard will be developing more pressure and could push the boat to port.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back