Boat License Nova Scotia

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

MikeZ

Hey Guys,

I haven't got a boat license yet, and am seeing you can do it online. Has anyone else done it this way? Also, I will be sending out the form out soon to register the boat but is this also count as a boating license or is it just proof of ownership that you need to keep with the boat. If I am understand correctly I need both a boating license, and this card I will be getting for registering the boat as well?

Any help wouldbe great, I'm a little lost in this situation lol.

-MikeZ

Yes you need both. The registration is like a car's ownership/plates. The boating license is like your driver's license.

Pleasure Craft Operator Card

Hey Guys,

I haven't got a boat license yet, and am seeing you can do it online. Has anyone else done it this way? Also, I will be sending out the form out soon to register the boat but is this also count as a boating license or is it just proof of ownership that you need to keep with the boat. If I am understand correctly I need both a boating license, and this card I will be getting for registering the boat as well?

Any help wouldbe great, I'm a little lost in this situation lol.

-MikeZ

Hi MikeZ,

What you are referring to is the Pleasure Craft Operator Card, or PCOC. This is what people tend to call the boat 'license'. However, a boat license refers to a document with a unique licence number for a pleasure craft. The number allows Search and Rescue personnel to access important information in an emergency. It is required on any vessel powered by 10 horsepower or more unless it has a vessel registration, which you seem to already have applied for. The PCOC is your proof of competence, meaning you are legally allowed to operate a powered vessel in Canada. It can be obtained online at www.boaterexam.com

Regards,
Ian

Thanks for the great information. I did the course and exam and received my temporary pcoc last night, and sent out my papers for my boat license. According to the transport Canada website I have up to 90 days after purchase to operate the boat without a boat license as long as I have proof of address and name. So I figure I should be legally able to ride now!!

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks for the great information. I did the course and exam and received my temporary pcoc last night, and sent out my papers for my boat license. According to the transport Canada website I have up to 90 days after purchase to operate the boat without a boat license as long as I have proof of address and name. So I figure I should be legally able to ride now!!

Thanks,

Mike

Congratulations, MikeZ! Happy riding!

Regards,
Ian

Back