Best fix for this cracked hull?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkeye69

The crack is above the pump/nozzle on the rear of a 99 GSX. As you can see, an attempt to seal it has been made prior to me owning it. It does leak and the darker color that you see on the gel coat is some sort of sealant.

What would be the best way to fix this? The crack does continue to behind the moulding.

Attachments

• DSC00795.JPG
    DSC00795.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 105
I'd go to a local auto body shop. They will remove the rub rail, cut the bad part out, re-glass it all using hardener and matted material...

or find a minty donor gsx with blown or no motor dirt cheap and transfer everything you need over, but a lot of work

if it was mine, i would fix it my self but i have also painted 5 skis.

I would grind all the loose stuff out and then use duraglas on both sides. then sand smooth. then prime and paint.

I will be fixing it myself. Im just curious what products or techniques you guys have used. Not really worried about looks, being that's its not extremely visible.

Auto part store will have all you need. Follow instructions on the material. Use the Mat Fiberglass. Wear double pairs of nitrile gloves. Resin is sticky as hell uncured. Wear long sleeves. Clean area well, degrease and scuff up. Make dams around the area to keep resin from draining off area. I use 3 inch masking tape and plumbers putty.
Overlap the area about 2 inches with fiberglass. Multiple layers laid down.

Last edited by a moderator:
99 GSX is Red.

That hull pic is white... 99 GTX?

I've never done any serious fiberglass repair, but I know it can be done, this assumes the rest of the hull is in really good shape (making this worth the effort to save)

I personally would reinforce on the inside if possible. And even if I couldn't, I probably wouldn't want to ride around with an ugly patch. I'd just gouge it out, make a tooth, then fill in with gel coat and sand smooth. Was that a stress crack or someone being a dummy crack?

99 GSX is Red.

That hull pic is white... 99 GTX?

I've never done any serious fiberglass repair, but I know it can be done, this assumes the rest of the hull is in really good shape (making this worth the effort to save)

GSX RFI..Its the maroon & white combo

I personally would reinforce on the inside if possible. And even if I couldn't, I probably wouldn't want to ride around with an ugly patch. I'd just gouge it out, make a tooth, then fill in with gel coat and sand smooth. Was that a stress crack or someone being a dummy crack?

Im going to do something with it once we get a break in the rain here.. It was there when I bought it, looks like a dummy crack though LOL

For some reason I thought it was inside the hull. To fix it / reinforce it inside first. You can use wax paper or heavy plastic film with 3 inch masking tape on 3 sides sticky side up wax paper / plastic stuck to first inch. Your making a dressing to place over the wound. Cut two layers of mat with a 2 inch overlap each edge. Two pieces cut and ready. Mask or cover all surfaces you do not want resin on or dripped on. Mix resin in a flat container. Soak mat one piece at a time. Place on plastic or wax paper. One layer at a time. Stick dressing on bottom first then sides. Work air out and smooth it up ward so it is smoothed down on the surface. Air is out. When it get firm and warm. carefully pull off the film and tape. If the material starts to come off surface give it a little of more time. You can even add another layer an inch more overlapped from the first patch. The outside you could use a dremel with cut off wheels. Carefully remove material. Wear a dusk mask anytime loose fiber glass is in the air! Then use fiber glass cloth and resin to bring the repair close the the surface. Use automotive spot putty to fill little low places. Using the glass method I described above first. Then sand down under the level of the surrounding surfaces. Then you can use the gel coat to hide the repair. Wet sanding can get it really smooth. Needless to say. I have used a bit of fiber glass materials. You use your head and be a craftsman you can do the repair for WAY LESS then someone would charge you. Find a friend that is a body man. A beer bribe can go a long way! If they got the skill, it's no thing to do!

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is just cosmetic I would use the standard polyester resin and mat. IF it is structural you will want to use epoxy resin and woven fiberglass cloth.

If you can get to the inside that is where you want to make your repair then as others have said use a gelcoat repair kit to make the outside less visible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back