1996 Seadoo gsx 787 red goo seeped out at cylinder head cover and yama lube for RV lubrication

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarrenR

Hello all,

I just purchased a 1996 Seadoo GSX 787. I had a few concerns i would like to bounce off any knowledgeable seadoers to make sure i dont injure the ski. I was told the ski had a new top end rebuilt about 7 months ago (work performed by the guy before the guy i bought the ski from). Also the oil pump was removed and premix is used. He was using 50:1 but i will switch to 40:1 mix. I test ran the ski and it ran pretty well other than only hitting about 6500 rpm (787's in my 1997 challenger 1800 hit 7000-7100 rpm). Compression check was good ~140-145psi in both cylinders.

Concerning RV lubrication: I was very concerned that the guy i bought the ski from didn't know oil was still needed for the rotary valve lubrication, however the RV oil lines were still connected so hopefully the guy who did the work knew to leave oil in. I couldn't see oil in the oil tank but it was hard to see. We added about a quart of yamalube before i test drove the ski. My concern now is whether it would be fine to have a mix of 2 oils, yamalube and ?XPS or whatever oil was in there for RV lubrication. Thoughts?

Cylinder head cover to cylinder red sealant seeping out: While tinkering with the ski today i noticed a red goo had come out between the cylinder head and the cylinder head cover on the low side that can't be seen without a camera. I know this some type of gasket sealant that was used by whoever did the top end work. It seemed fairly fresh as it was not hard but more gooey. I actually though i cut my hand and it was blood until i saw more of it at the seem of cylinder head cover and cylinder. Does that seem odd? I was wondering if there is there anything i should do? I plan to clean the red goo off so ill know if it continues to leak. Also i was thinking i should retorque (17 ft-lb) the cylinder head bolts. Anything else i should be concerned with or check?

Concerning low RPM: I know this could be a lot of things. The water regulator valve on the water box that looks like a RAVE valve was definitely leaking alot of water. I opened it up and the top clamp had fallen off and bottom metal clamp eroded. I repaired it and will hopefully get a chance to test it in the water again in the next day or 2. Can the water box regulator valve effect max rpm? This forum and a few others have alot of good advice for tracking down lost RPM so ill start working through those fixes at some point.

Thanks for any advice and ill update what works and what doesn't after i get a chance to test it

Has the red goo always been there from the start,,,or just started recently?,,,it could be loktite 242 which is sealer against water,,,mostly applied around the venturi at the pump housing,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back