Balance Shaft Disassembly

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
Does anyone care to share the secrets of Balance Shaft disassembly and reassembly? Looks like I'm gonna be doing a few. I played with one a couple of years ago and bent the gear.... LOL it was an experiment. :D Brut force obviously didn't work on that one. Help is appreciated.

It isn't that difficult with a press but you have to mark everything before you take it apart because there are no factory alignment marks.

I know Dan Squires was rebuilding them for like $100.

One machinist I spoke to said be careful when you mark the shaft/gear position because when you remove the gear it can remove the mark. $100 is a deal! One machine shop charged me more than that to ruin mine!

Hmmmm... this is all good information. The way my test shaft failed I didn't think it would just jump off easily so I'm just making sure. I wanted to verify that mine wasn't just a "bad" one. I'll machine something to take the fight out of it. LOL Thanks !!

Hmmmm... this is all good information. The way my test shaft failed I didn't think it would just jump off easily so I'm just making sure. I wanted to verify that mine wasn't just a "bad" one. I'll machine something to take the fight out of it. LOL Thanks !!
I hope it works out well for you!

I'll get R done. I just got engines everywhere right now.... THANKS !
Any updates on the rebuild process of the balance shafts? where do you source the bearings and seals from? I have a spare one kicking around I would like to try to rebuild for my spare engine once I get around to gathering all the parts to build it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back