Audio Upgrade 210 Challenger

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

kernal

Upgraded to JL Audio components. MX770 speakers and a MX 500/4 amp.

20170326_172123.jpg
20170326_212115.jpg
20170326_212104.jpg

Sound is much improved over the stock Jensen setup, but there is a low hum from a ground loop issue. This has me re-thinking how I connected the amp. I ran a dedicated power / ground from my #2 battery. I think I need to move the head unit ground to the amp ground, or install ground loop isolators on the RCA's.

I'm also now thinking that I should have ran the amp power from the battery switch, instead of straight from the battery #2. That way it would draw from the "active" battery. IE now if I select battery 1, the head unit gets power from it, and the amp is drawing from batt #2.

Any recommendations?

I have a couple questions, did the speakers fit in the stock openings or did you have to cut the fiberglass? Also what/were did you get the lights on the floor. I like the color and need to replace mine anyway. Thanks!

what/were did you get the lights on the floor. I like the color and need to replace mine anyway. Thanks!

If you only need the LED bulbs, try these: https://www.amazon.com/iJDMTOY-12-SMD-DE3175-DE3022-Interior/dp/B008GGH9IQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1491325327&sr=1-1&keywords=ijdmtoy+12-smd+1.25%22

Keep in mind the bulbs are directional, so if they don't work when you plug them in, simply flip them around. I believe you can find any color you like.

If you need the entire light housing, they can be found almost anywhere.

Looks great! Sorry no suggestions for the grounding issue. All that is beyond me and I just take mine to a shop. I also like the LED's you got. I got some plain white ones I never installed.

Side question for anyone...how do y'all clean your speakers or what is required if anything? I know even with certain ratings salt water and spray will eventually wear. Can they take a spray from a water hose or what should I be doing? Sorry to hijack!

Picked up a package of the bulbs jpass mentioned, installed them. Wouldn't give them up, love the look not overly bright for me. They are awesome. Thanks​ for the link!!

Upgraded to JL Audio components. MX770 speakers and a MX 500/4 amp.

View attachment 31572
View attachment 31573
View attachment 31574

Sound is much improved over the stock Jensen setup, but there is a low hum from a ground loop issue. This has me re-thinking how I connected the amp. I ran a dedicated power / ground from my #2 battery. I think I need to move the head unit ground to the amp ground, or install ground loop isolators on the RCA's.

I'm also now thinking that I should have ran the amp power from the battery switch, instead of straight from the battery #2. That way it would draw from the "active" battery. IE now if I select battery 1, the head unit gets power from it, and the amp is drawing from batt #2.

Any recommendations?

Hi Kernal,
Can you give some details on how/ where the second battery is installed & did you just end up Running the second battery to the switch chained to the 1st battery?
I would like a second but don’t know where to start.

There is a 2 battery switch in the stock location. The 2nd battery is installed in a tray opposite of the factory battery. I took a piece of PVC board and used marine adhesive to attach tot he hull, screwed a battery tray to it. I'll be doing some rewiring once the temps improve, I can get some pics.

Cool man thanks. When you say opposite the factory battery do you mean on the opposite side of the boat in the engine compartment? Also, where did you install the amp? I looked at running a 4 gauge power cable the other day & I couldn’t see how to get it up front. Seems there are high density foam inserts in the side hull right by the back of the drivers seat that was stopping my wire snake from making it back to the battery.

Cool man thanks. When you say opposite the factory battery do you mean on the opposite side of the boat in the engine compartment? Also, where did you install the amp? I looked at running a 4 gauge power cable the other day & I couldn’t see how to get it up front. Seems there are high density foam inserts in the side hull right by the back of the drivers seat that was stopping my wire snake from making it back to the battery.

Brian, I just did this to my 210 Challenger and what you need to do is remove the starboard speaker in the stern and then fish the cable through the cable path already provided on that side of the boat for other factory cabling. You will need some type of cable fishing rod like this (https://www.amazon.com/Cen-Tech-653...=1522757225&sr=8-4&keywords=cable+fishing+rod) for best results and then use your hand to feel for the factory hole just to the left inside the speaker cutout. You should be able to push the rod all the way to the large cutout behind the helm and then tape (Electrical Tape) all your cabling to the rod and pull through slowly. A second person to feed the cable is ideal. Takes some time and isn't easy but it can be done and this info will definitely help point you in the right direction. Keep me posted !

Thanks StudioCat13, I was able to use a fish tape and after taking out the drivers side speaker see the cable pass thru hole in the foam divider. Took a bit of fishing but it was pretty easy to get the cable through to where i could grab it from the ski locker and then run it up behind the helm using a stock cutout where the stock speaker wires are running. How did you do your second battery install/setup?

Thanks StudioCat13, I was able to use a fish tape and after taking out the drivers side speaker see the cable pass thru hole in the foam divider. Took a bit of fishing but it was pretty easy to get the cable through to where i could grab it from the ski locker and then run it up behind the helm using a stock cutout where the stock speaker wires are running. How did you do your second battery install/setup?
Just ordered all of the stuff I need and hope to start on it next week. Been doing a lot of research so helpfully it goes well. I will post info/pics once finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back