At a loss on my 96 XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brprxt215

Went to ride yesterday ski started right up on the ramp. Pushed it in the water running. The nose got hung up on ramp from trying to idle forward. I shut the machine off pushed away from dock went to start it again and it wanted to keep cranking even after letting off the button so I pulled Lanyard. Which stopped the cranking but heard a humming noise I think from the starter about 3 seconds afterwords. Went to try again and I got no power to any of the gauges even when pressing start button without lanyard. I dragged it back up on ramp and checked all 4 fuses which were good.When I go to reconnect battery it chirped and sounded like the starter running but not engaging. I wish I could post the video for you guys to hear. Never has it chirped when connecting battery before. This morning I went and bought a solenoid figuring it was easy enough. I got a small chirp when touching main ground to battery negative. But hooked battery up anyway. When I did this I had power to the gauges without touching the start button. After they timed out and I press the start button I get nothing. Going to drag the ski to the boat launch in the morning and get it on a trailer to work on it. Anyone have any leads? It just happened out of nowhere I just rode it last on Saturday.

Sounds like your starter solenoid is stuck closed. This can be from a bad solenoid and a a weak battery can burn the contacts closed.

Sounds like your starter solenoid is stuck closed. This can be from a bad solenoid and a a weak battery can burn the contacts closed.
I went to dealer and bought a new oem solenoid this morning and the battery is a brand new Dekka agm not even an hour ride time since purchasing(charged at 12v 2amp for 16 hours after bought). I’m wondering if the little plug that plugs into the solenoid with the red/yellow and I forget the other wire color off hand is bad

I haven't seen those go bad. I would try the new solenoid and go from there.
I did put it in this morning and when I touched main ground to battery it chirped. When connected I instantly had power to gauges without pressing start button to initiate them to come on

I haven't seen those go bad. I would try the new solenoid and go from there.
So I unplugged the start stop bottom by the grey box this morning when checking for continuity it is showing continuity without the button being pressed. I’m starting at leaning towards dess post or mpem maybe went bad? Can they just go bad suddenly like that after running a minute before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back