Anyone know how to reduce the size/quality of a video clip?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

scooper77515

freebie fixer
Premium Member
Took my new waterproof camera out today and had a good time on the lake, but when we got home, I noticed that the video and pictures are both set to the highest quality. Fine for pictures, since I have software to reduce the picture quality and/or size.

But for the video, it was shooting at 1 Meg per second, so all my videos, even the short ones, are way too big to email or post for internet viewing.

Does anyone know how to reduce the quality and/or size of video clips?

Currently shooting at 6960 kbps in .AVI format. Next time, I will reduce the recording quality on the camera for fewer kbps'es.

Last edited by a moderator:
Menu...

I had this same prob on my digital camera.

You'll need to access the menu and look under files. You can actually set up several files to take pix/vids with and choose the file size you want to save with.

With pix for email, I choose the VGA setting........made them small........

So, you are saying to save the videos to a format other than AVI? Maybe mpg would be smaller?

I am new to video. Been doing digital pix for years, but never video.

My camera, as far as I can see, only allows me to choose from 640 or 320 video quality. I don't see a way to change the format.

The 320 is still around 1/2 meg per second.

I think I need a program that will re-record the AVI to another format or poorer quality, or convert it down.

By the way, picture in first post is the first underwater shot from my new camera. Water was pretty murky today, but I felt I needed to submerge the camera to get that fear of getting it wet out of my system. The wife about FREAKED when I went under with it, even though she knows it is supposed to be waterproof. :reddevil:

I think you can just sign up for a You-Tube account and host your videos on there. I really don't know any of the details because I've never tried it, but if you need help let me know and I'll check with my brother. He has used it a number of times to upload videos of his older Glastron Intimidator and his new Bryant.

Aaron:cheers:

Disk....

You should have a storage disk to put in your camera. Once you take a vid, you should be able to move it from the camera to the disk. When you do this, mine ask me how I want to save it. It gives me a few choices. I usually choose to save it in MPEG-2.

Even if you save it in an unknown format, there are a lot of vid software out there that will allow you to view it, then change the properties format to something like AVI or MPEG...............

Oh, and if it's something you want to load up to the internet, you have to see what that site provides for file sizes. All internet sites have different file sizes because of cost in quality. You Tube, from what I understand, allows high quality formats in their vids. But, other areas that do pix and vid, like ebay, only allow a small file size. The larger the file, the more space it takes up on a server.......:cheers:

I guess I will play around with some of the video programs I have and see if I can reformat it.

My camera has an 8G card that it records to. I pop it into my computer, and move the file over. So I have access to the file, so if i find some program that will let me resize it, I am good to go.

I am sure that NO online site will allow me to store an 85Meg 90 second video clip!

It LOOKS good, very high quality, 30 frames a second, it is just a HUGE file for such a small video clip.

Vista...

If your running Vista, there is a series of programs they have pre-installed for us to use. I just looked at one last night for the work I want to broadcast. Look in your files from the start menu and you'll see "windows moviemaker"......open it up and it will let you import movies that you can edit and size, etc........it's worth a try..........:cheers:

Hey Snipe! That WORKED!!!:cheers:

In the movie maker program, you can cut out the fingers over the viewfinder, etc, then "publish" the video to the computer, and tell it how big you want the file to be. I told it 3 Megs and it compressed from like 36 down to 3.2M, and the quality didn't suffer too much.

It also converted it to .wmv from .avi.

I ain't no virgin :reddevil:

That picture is pretty wierd. If you look at if in thumbnail, you can see my face, but when you open it up, the face pretty much disappears.

That water was pretty murky yesterday.

Back