Anyone ever swap an impeller on a volvo-penta?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scooper77515

freebie fixer
Premium Member
I cannot find any record of impeller being swapped, 7 year old boat, 185 hours, so I am on borrowed time. It may have been, but i don't see a receipt for it, and previous owner put on 150 hours in the last year and he didn't do it.

I have the impeller, but no instructions on how to swap it. There is a bracket that is in the way, and not sure what bolts to remove to get to it.

4.3GL 6-cylinder.

It's been a while since I've played with one... but do you have the one that's belt driven from the engine, or off the front of the crank, or in the lower unit?

I'm going to assume it's the crank driven pump since you are talking about a bracket in the way. If you look to one side... you will see 2 bolts holding the bracket... take them off. Once the bracket is out of the way, you can remove the 4 bolts from the housing, and the pump body will pull away from the pulley.

Without going back out and looking it may be crank driven. There is a belt attached to it but it might be the drive belt for all the other accessories.

I see the four screws holding the cover on, it was the bracket I was wondering about.

So the bracket comes off with the cover?

Sounds simple enough.

I hope the one the seller gave me is the correct one. Dealer said it should be. But match them to make sure. Only $12 if not.

My Chris Craft has a Chevy 350 with a Volvo out drive. The water pump impeller is to the starboard side and runs off the a belt from the crank. Remove the 2 adjusting bolts and the belt slips off...then remove the 2 hose clamps and hoses and the unit comes off the engine. The impeller is just inside after you remove the cover bolts. Not sure if this is your exact one but I have noticed most Volvo look the same as mine.

I hope this helps.

Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back