Antifreeze leak coming from intake grate area on a 05' Challenger

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourtrax440

Good afternoon,
I just pulled my 2005 Challenger from the shop to get her ready for the season and noticed a small amount of antifreeze leaking from the intake grate under the boat?
The overflow bottle is not showing low so I was going to open everything up this evening and try and find out where it is coming from..
Any one had this issue before or know where I might start looking?

Thank you in advance
Phil

If it was leaking from the overflow it would drain from the plug and in a perfect world fall to the floor. Now if your boat in that same scenario was not pitched back it could leak forward. however being a v hull the intakes are off the keel so the only way antifreeze could touch the intake grate is to actually be coming off of the cooling plate. But I hope I'm wrong. Sounds like a pain if it is the case.

Last edited:
Could it be that the anti freeze is just the fluid that was used to prevent freezing in the exhaust system during storage ? There might be no problem at all if it was preserved ?

Could it be that the anti freeze is just the fluid that was used to prevent freezing in the exhaust system during storage ? There might be no problem at all if it was preserved ?

I had a similar thought.... But it shouldn't be green should be pink if that's how it was winterized. If it's green I would be a bit concerned, I find it hard to believe that the heat transfer plate cracked and/or split let us know what you find, if anything.

take a good look at your ride shoe, I've seen them cracked because of an impact, also look at the top side of the ride shoe, the ride shoe is two pieces, it has a plate on the top side that is screwed on and sealed with a gasket, I have seen them leak before also, you may have to pressurize the cooling system a bit to see it leaking, suggest testing it at different pressures and different temps because it could seal itself back up with expansion.

take a good look at your ride shoe, I've seen them cracked because of an impact, also look at the top side of the ride shoe, the ride shoe is two pieces, it has a plate on the top side that is screwed on and sealed with a gasket, I have seen them leak before also, you may have to pressurize the cooling system a bit to see it leaking, suggest testing it at different pressures and different temps because it could seal itself back up with expansion.

+1 on the ride plate. The Allen screws on top have orings that are prone to leaking.

Did you figure out the problem. It may be useful information to share with others in this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back