Anti Rattle Cone

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Petron

I finally got sick & tired of listening to that damn rattle sound on my 96 Sea Doo GSX pump & purchased one of those Anti Rattle Cone kits.

Assembled everything, installed new pump oil (no leaks), started her up & after a while I heard that rattle sound again.

What's up with that? I know I installed it correctly.
Any thoughts?

there is another thread on here where they talk about thinks that could still be making noise even with the anti rattle.

The anti rattle cone will NOT stop the impeller rattle noise that you hear when running out of the water. That noise is from the looseness in the splines between the impeller and the driveshaft. It will eliminate the "knocking" noise that you hear when the engine is idling too slow in the water.

Chester

Threads....

I finally got sick & tired of listening to that damn rattle sound on my 96 Sea Doo GSX pump & purchased one of those Anti Rattle Cone kits.

Assembled everything, installed new pump oil (no leaks), started her up & after a while I heard that rattle sound again.

What's up with that? I know I installed it correctly.
Any thoughts?

There are many threads in the forum on this subject and why buying one is a waste of money.

The pump has 3 bearings, two radial bearings (side to side movement) and one that takes up axial (back and forth movement), the thrust bearing.

In the water, the pump impeller spins creating thrust. This pushes the shaft hard onto the thrust bearing, keeping it mated to the bearing surface.

When the ski/boat is out of the water, there is no water passing through the impeller to create the pressure you need to push the impeller shaft agains't the thrust bearing. That's why you hear the noise.

The theory behind the anti rattle kit is to use spring tension to push the shaft inward, sitting it on the thrust washer. The anti-rattle device in the 951 has a better design, but I'll be still rattles..........:cheers:

The impeller rattle that you hear when the Sea-Doo is on the trailer is actually from the splines, not the thrust bearing and is a common noise on all PWC. The only way to reduce this noise is to heavily grease the splines. The anti rattle cone does work for what it is intended for. It will eliminate the knocking sound that you hear when idling too slow in the water.

Chester

Our first bump...

The impeller rattle that you hear when the Sea-Doo is on the trailer is actually from the splines, not the thrust bearing and is a common noise on all PWC. The only way to reduce this noise is to heavily grease the splines. The anti rattle cone does work for what it is intended for. It will eliminate the knocking sound that you hear when idling too slow in the water.

Chester

I don't think I have ever disagreed with you, on anything since you've become a member here. But, I'll have to disagree with you on this one. Not because of the spines but because in other applications where I have worked with the thrust bearings or the combined Journal/Thrust bearings, the rattle is common if you have no thrust on the thrust bearing.

This was actually part of a lecture at a school I attended some years ago on bearings, valves and hydraulics. If you have the pump removed, you can move the impeller shaft in and out about, I'd say about 1/8 to 3/16's of an inch. When your in the water, the impeller is pushing the shaft into that thrust bearing, the shaft is solid, no vibrations. When your out of the water, there is no force to hold that shaft pushed up agains't the thrust bearing so the shaft will walk back and forth (forward to backward) several times a second, hitting the thrust bearing and coming off of it. That's where the noise is created............

So, I'll have to agree to disagree with you on this one.......:cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I have ever disagreed with you, on anything since you've become a member here. But, I'll have to disagree with you on this one. Not because of the spines but because in other applications where I have worked with the thrust bearings or the combined Journal/Thrust bearings, the rattle is common if you have no thrust on the thrust bearing.

This was actually part of a lecture at a school I attended some years ago on bearings, valves and hydraulics. If you have the pump removed, you can move the impeller shaft in and out about, I'd say about 1/8 to 3/16's of an inch. When your in the water, the impeller is pushing the shaft into that thrust bearing, the shaft is solid, no vibrations. When your out of the water, there is no force to hold that shaft pushed up agains't the thrust bearing so the shaft will walk back and forth (forward to backward) several times a second, hitting the thrust bearing and coming off of it. That's where the noise is created............

So, I'll have to agree to disagree with you on this one.......:cheers:

That noise you hear is from the splines not the thrust bearing. It is a common noise to almost all PWC, especially Kawasaki Jet-Skis. The 2 stroke Sea-Doos are the only ones that use a thrust bearing and have 0.12mm - 0.54mm of end play, yet the Jet-Skis make the same noise with no thrust bearing and zero end play on the shaft. The next time you work on a Kawasaki, you can confirm this for yourself. The Sea-Doo impeller will "hunt" fore and aft when in the water (and the idle speed is too low) emitting a low pitch knock. When out of the water, the impeller rattles on the splines making, a completely different, high pitch rattle. If you have the pump removed, and you move the impeller fore and aft, you can hear the same low pitch knock as it makes while in the water. If you take a 10mm wrench and tap on the impeller, you will hear a high pitch noise similar to the spline rattle you hear when out of the water. Here's a video of the knocking noise that the end play in the thrust bearing makes. Notice that when he revs it up, the noise goes away. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T16kBj4rHxY
Try this on your Sea-Doo, turn the idle down to about 1000 - 1200 RPM and listen for the knock while idling around in the water. This is the noise that the anti-rattle cone is meant to reduce. I read the technical bulletin when I worked for a Sea-Doo dealer.
Do a search on PWCToday or GreenHulk and you will find more info on this.

Chester

Noises

You guys are disagreeing with each other because you are talking about 2 different noises.
Low pitch knocking at low RPM'S is caused by impeller shaft end play.
High pitch rattle out of water is caused by slack in the splines. So the question is............ are you talking about a rattle or a knock?
SeaDoo tends to have both of these noises and neither are a cause for alarm.
DAWG

Should there be any noise from the drive drive shaft if you have the motor out and you turn it by hand?

I have my engine out of my to replace the motor mounts and noticed that while turning the drive shaft by hand that I hear a noise. My dad who is an auto mechanic says that he thinks the thrust bearing is bad.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back