Another fishfinder question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I finally installed the garmin fishfinder on my sportster. Didn't take very long to fish the transducer wire to the helm and even shorter to wire into my fuse box. I was really limited to where I can mount it so I just used your recommendation.
Final product
20181012_211818.jpg
Mounting
20181012_211808.jpg
Running wires through helm cover. I used protective mesh and sealed the hole with RTV (silicone)
20181012_211802.jpg
I placed the transducer in the hull. I used a wire brush and alcohol to clean the surface first. I placed a thin layer of RTV it hold it in place
20181012_211712.jpg20181012_211718.jpg
Unfortunately, I have not taking it out on the water yet to test the depth/fish finder. I am hoping I don't have to externally mount the transducer.

Looks good! Nice install. I like the idea of the protective wire wrap. May have to add that to mine in the spring.

I use a suckon cup mount for transducer so you can get side views instead of only below boat views and angle is adjustable. Also has a small cork looking transducer you put on fishing line and can cast to areas you want to see . . . no wires and can even attach fishing line to bottom and see fish hit bait, etc. It's the green boat looking part below. I don't have the watch rather a large screen unit like normal ones.. I hate drilling holes in the hull. and you can remove it when not fishing and go fast, etc. It runs on D batterys so no electric issues.
Made by Hummingbird.1541288396830.png

So I finally installed the garmin fishfinder on my sportster. Didn't take very long to fish the transducer wire to the helm and even shorter to wire into my fuse box. I was really limited to where I can mount it so I just used your recommendation.
Final product
View attachment 38420
Mounting
View attachment 38421
Running wires through helm cover. I used protective mesh and sealed the hole with RTV (silicone)
View attachment 38422
I placed the transducer in the hull. I used a wire brush and alcohol to clean the surface first. I placed a thin layer of RTV it hold it in place
View attachment 38423View attachment 38424
Unfortunately, I have not taking it out on the water yet to test the depth/fish finder. I am hoping I don't have to externally mount the transducer.
Final product
View attachment 38420
Mounting
View attachment 38421
View attachment 38422
View attachment 38423View attachment 38424
Good job. I have a 150 w/lots of performance mods and putting a Garmin Echomap plus 83SV finder on it.
Unfortunately, the side view and down view units won't work in hull. So i'm using a pole mounted transducer that mounts on the forward cleat and has the cleanest water available for the boat. Plus you see in front vs seeing history from rear units. these boats have lots of bubbles under the hull to left it up for speed which is bad for transducers, which make transom and rear mounts difficult. Simple removal of pole when want to go fast, etc. my question is how much room was there below where you mounted finder and did you use screws or bolts that go thru and nuts on the ends. As you know there are lots of wires in that area. thanks.

Attachments

• 20180715_144049 (1).jpg
    20180715_144049 (1).jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 32
  • 20180715_144310 (1).jpg
    20180715_144310 (1).jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 37
  • 20160601_180337.jpg
    20160601_180337.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 37
  • POLE TRANSDUCER MOUNT FOR SPEEDSTER.jpg
    POLE TRANSDUCER MOUNT FOR SPEEDSTER.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 36
In order to make sure I wasn't going to drill through anything critical, I removed the shift and throttle handle assembly. This gives you access to the starboard hull to make sure no wires are there. There are 4 screws for the cover plate and then 4 more screws below for that actual assembly. There is enough slack in both the shift and throttle cables attached to the assembly to let you pull it out about 10 to 12 inches. That's enough to poke a flashlight in there and see where everything is routed. After marking the holes, I predrilled 4 pilot holes into the fiberglass. I then screwed in the base with stainless steel screws.

In regards to where I mounted the transducer, the location I posted about in my previous post did not give any readings on the water. I ended up removing it from that location. I then placed the transducer in a ziplock bag of water and placed it in the very back of the engine compartment. It now gives excellent readings on sea life (sea cows and school fish confirmed this) and good depth measurements. I like your idea of a standalone mount. I was considering just buying a trolling motor but finding it hard to come up with where to mount it on the bow with those clamp. Please take pictures when you are done.20190112_082741.jpg15473140264649163129051473171401.jpg

Thanks, I was going thru the area where fuse panel is under front hood as you can get your hand back to the area you located the finder, but going thru the control panel makes sense. Did you consider using bolts with nuts vs the screws? Since the 93sv is 9" I worry about screws pulling out of the fiberglass as we run in 1-3 foot chop a lot. I would think that an in hull location would be best near the bilge pump area, but best to do the water deal you're doing and get on the water and move it around until you find best reading, then attach.
Does your Garmin unit have down imaging or side view or just normal sonar? as mentioned, these side/down units won't work with thru hull, so have to do thru the hull, transom mount or best is the pole mounted transducer. Most all serious tournament fisherman have the transducer in the bow area, old school was attaching transducer to the trolling motor, however, many now find that they get interference from the motor and of course have to move the motor (boat) to look at another area, etc. with the pole, boat can stay in location and you simply move the pole to the area you want to view. Again, cleaning water and can see in front vs. 20-30 feet of history behind you and you drove the boat right over the fish. In front, fish then boat goes over without spooking fish. The minn Kota trolling motor would be neat and they do have mounts that will work on Speedsters, but would be a permanent install. We do lots of racing with other boats, wake, tubes, etc. so I want to be able to remove all fishing gear when we do this, hence the removable finder and the transducer that we put in the rear storage when not using. No holes other than the base for finder.
thanks again, that really helps me. Still not sure if want finder on starboard side like yours or on the side with radio so other people can see finder better and also better for me when I fish off the bow, port side, etc.
Will send pictures when complete.

As I mentioned, I have a Hummingbird Piranha portable fish finder that works on it's own batteries and the transducer fastens to the hull with suction cup. It also has a sonar unit that you can cast with fishing pole to areas to view with no wires, etc. and don't have to drive boat over that area to inspect. Works perfectly and excellent for PWC also. I'll sell it for $90.

Attachments

• FISH FINDER TRANSDUCER W-SUCTION CUP HUMMINGBIRD PIRANNA.jpg
    FISH FINDER TRANSDUCER W-SUCTION CUP HUMMINGBIRD PIRANNA.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 20
The fiber glass is very thick in that area and it was very hard to drive the screws in there. That's actually why I chose to drill pilot holes. No worries on supporting larger units.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back