Question about power and rev limit

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Phobos84

Ok so this is an odd one. I have a 2023 Switch sport. They rate that 1630 motor at 170hp at 8050rpm. Well my boat has a rev limiter that won't allow the rpm to go over 7600. I read somewhere that this is because the coast guard suggested that they limit the RPM to under 7700 for some reason? So how can they advertise that it has 170hp @ 8050 rpm when the boat can't rev high enough to get there? Anyway I can use HP Tuners to raise the rev limit. I just have to pay for 4 points to license the ECU (about $200). I read on another forum that guys are revving the 1630 ACE to over 8500 rpm with stock internals.

Anyone have any incite here? Would simply raising the rev limit help performance with everything else being stock? I was thinking of going to a little over 8000 just to be able to get the full rated power from the motor.

They are honestly saying what the power is...like on a dyno...nothing false about that. Shady as hell from a marketing point if the engine makes significantly less power at the rev limiter rpm. HP sells vehicles, be it a boat, car, PWC, motorcycle...so yeah, that's odd.

I understand that the hp rating is under optimum conditions on a dyno. But I don't understand how they can put a sticker on the boat that says "170hp" and then set a rev limit in the ECU that would make it impossible to get to that power level. After doing some reading it looks like they did this on some of the ski's too. So I guess over the winter I'll raise the rev limiter to 8100 and see what happens.

One thing I did think about though was if this low rev limit was because of a coast guard recommendation like I read being that the boat was made in Canada that might explain the discrepancy. Similar to how the ski's are limited to 67 mph in the US but not in other countries.

Yep...one of the reasons I buy and read a lot of magazines that do the real-world testing. The marketing gurus will try to sell ice to an Eskimo and tell him how good it is for him.

Back