Anchoring our ski on the ocean?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Hey all,

we were wanting to know if anyone had experience anchoring their ski on the beach? We took our jet ski to PCB, FL last year and just pulled it up on the beach at Shell Island. It worked ok, but it was a pain to push it off the beach when the surf was low and shifted around a lot when the surf was up. (didn't really like the scratches that we got on our hull) Taking it out there was AMAZING! and we are heading back there again this summer in June. If anyone can advise us on a GREAT anchor that will work in the ocean we would appreciate it or just a technique to use....we are fresh water people mostly...being from Tennessee and all.

Thanks All,

MemphisOutskirts

To be honest, i an trying to find a good one myself. I have beached mine a few times on shell island. I will pick one up when i start heading out there this season, and will let you know :)

Look into something called a

"Collapsible Box Anchor"

I'd give you a link but I don't know if they sell them via this site.

Also most people use ropes, the best way to set up an anchor is to use a length of chain.

The down side is most people don't want to cart around what it takes to anchor it down properly..

How to anchor....?

It's not so much the anchor is it is the way you anchor. To have a section of chain is paramount to getting a good grab into the sand.

I use the bell type anchor which has a heavy plastic coating on it. This keeps from bouncing around inside my storage compartment, beating it up. I have a back pack that I keep it in, with a couple towels wrapped around it. I have a section of chain and shackle, about 2 and a half to 3 feet long. The chain is what keeps the anchor on it's side, grabbin the bottom. Also, having enough rope out to have the best angle to the surf and bottom.

I'm sure there are several types out there available. But for me, if I can't get a cheap fix from Walmart, I cry to open my wallet to places like West Marine or Boat's R Us. Those places prices are so over inflated.....:cheers:

I use 2 screw in anchors, one for the bow the other for the stern and they work great. You just spread them out so your ski only drifts where you allow it to.

http://www.jetskihaven.com/jetskiproduct.php?prodnum=1842

Seems I remember riding with you last year, out in Venice.

I do a med moor (mooring from for and aft) on my boat when I want my boat positioned a certain way. But, this type of mooring has it's place. You should not do a fore and aft moor in high currents or high chop. The reason is the bow's designed to be hit with higher winds and waves than the stern. You can actually push the back of the ski under water if the surf and wind is bad enough.

If your on a lake or in smooth water, then to med moor would be fine if you want to constantly face the ski a certain way...........:cheers:

It's not so much the anchor is it is the way you anchor. To have a section of chain is paramount to getting a good grab into the sand.

I use the bell type anchor which has a heavy plastic coating on it. This keeps from bouncing around inside my storage compartment, beating it up. I have a back pack that I keep it in, with a couple towels wrapped around it. I have a section of chain and shackle, about 2 and a half to 3 feet long. The chain is what keeps the anchor on it's side, grabbin the bottom. Also, having enough rope out to have the best angle to the surf and bottom.

I'm sure there are several types out there available. But for me, if I can't get a cheap fix from Walmart, I cry to open my wallet to places like West Marine or Boat's R Us. Those places prices are so over inflated.....:cheers:

:agree:

I think the chain is the most critical part....

Got to get yourself a account with west marine, if you have a business/tax number you can set up an account with them and save a lot of money on parts!

How big/thick of a chain do you guys use. A small diameter like a dog chain, or a large heavy chain? I'm assuming the heavier, the better, but thought I'd ask.

I use a cloth/plastic bag I fill with rocks and use thin boat rope and floater and a carabeaner.:) works just as if I bought one

Back