Aluminum Rave Pistons now on sale at eBay!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

IDoSeaDoo

Hey guys, if you're tired of melting Rave Pistons, here's your chance to snatch up a set of aluminum ones for only $40. I couldn't believe I found a set so cheap AND THEY'RE ALREADY ANODIZED! Before, they were going for like $100 a set. You can either search for them on eBay or try the link below. I just bought a pair, as I've melted a dozen of these dumb things. Exhaust components should NOT BE MADE OF PLASTIC!

2 Sea Doo Ski Doo Aluminum 787 800 RFI 951 Exhaust Rave Valve Piston Seadoo Pwc | eBay

The plastic ones don't normally melt until the tolerances are out of spec and/or the O-ring is rock hard. I've bought a lot of billet ones and I've found that they like to kick the bellows off. It does not always happen but some have done it even with all new OEM rave parts. I think the aluminum ones don't cool as well or something. I do tend to rev the engines more then normal so It might not be a problem under normal circumstances.

The plastic ones don't normally melt until the tolerances are out of spec and/or the O-ring is rock hard. I've bought a lot of billet ones and I've found that they like to kick the bellows off. It does not always happen but some have done it even with all new OEM rave parts. I think the aluminum ones don't cool as well or something. I do tend to rev the engines more then normal so It might not be a problem under normal circumstances.

I wonder what the weight difference is? It will change the way they operate.

Chester

I thought about that too @Chester but I believe that can be compensated for by reducing the spring load. As for keeping them from popping off, I think I'm oging to do what the tuner crowd do: spray hair spray as an adhesive to help hold the bellows to the piston. Can't way to put this ski together and try them out.

I've always had problems with tolerances. Once the jug is worn out, there's not much you can do. It's a shame to have to throw them out and waste $100's of dollars on new ones, then bore them etc... Also, you can't know if they're bad or not. There is no way to measure it. I have like 6 jugs to choose from and no way to tell which ones are good or not.

I thought about that too @Chester but I believe that can be compensated for by reducing the spring load. As for keeping them from popping off, I think I'm oging to do what the tuner crowd do: spray hair spray as an adhesive to help hold the bellows to the piston. Can't way to put this ski together and try them out.

I've always had problems with tolerances. Once the jug is worn out, there's not much you can do. It's a shame to have to throw them out and waste $100's of dollars on new ones, then bore them etc... Also, you can't know if they're bad or not. There is no way to measure it. I have like 6 jugs to choose from and no way to tell which ones are good or not.
Here's a thought, might try sterndrive u-joint bellows adhesive, which is essentially just rubber cement.

So they came in on Saturday, and they are very light. They're obviously heavier than the plastic counterparts, but only by a gram or two. They look very well made and are completely identical to each other. I haven't had a chance to compare them to the plastic ones yet, but the machining seems to be on point from what I can tell.

As for the adhesive, I wonder how high of temps that rubber cement holds up to. I think that will be the big question with any adhesive we try. I've actually had luck in the past of shrinking the retainer springs. It's basically a spring that's threaded onto itself. I've been able to cut a little off one end and thread it back onto itself with good results.

I think you're describing a garter spring and yes they can be shortened if necessary, takes some patience but I've done that before as well when parts weren't available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back