Aftermarket stereo (power) limitations???

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

forward970

Okay, this may have been discussed previously. If that's the case, please direct me to a link if you know of one.
I have a 2006 Challenger 180 w/ factory stereo and 2 speakers (pretty lacking). I would like to add a sub and speakers using a 600W RMS amp. However, the "alternator" is rated at 30 amps (at 12V). That's 360W (max) produced, compared to the 600W amp I want to use. My local Seadoo dealer recommends not using the 30 amps coming from the alternator/generator to help power the amp. Instead, he suggests adding another battery. I'm good with adding a battery, but most deep cycle batteries will only support 600W (or 300W) for about 30-60 minutes. What am I missing? I see other people putting 500W - 1000W RMS audio systems in Challenger boats, but I don't understand how they're getting the necessary power. ?????

Last edited by a moderator:
Your 6000w is on the output side. Also... that is peak power. So... you need to see what the "Input Power" requirements are on the amp. I would start by simply looking at the fuses on the input side.

You can put a 1000w amp on the boat without an issue. Most people will use a battery isolator, and have a second battery feeding the sound system. Also... most people aren't listening to a stereo at full volume for very long... so the power requirements aren't that high.

Last thing... if you are mounting the subs directly into the hull... you may not want to run that much power. You could crack the hull.

Tony is correct. You have to look at the amplifiers amperage requirements. You probally won't use the amp at full volume for extended periods of time, and you alternator will be recharging at all times. A second battery will help you to store more energy, but you must put back into the system what you take out. There is a great batery seperator that i use that has no voltage drop. Most isolators will lose about 1.5 volt in the process but the SurePower model # 1315 will not. I have this on a 1997 Speedster with a 500 watt system that work great.

Thanks Tony. I'll look at the battery isolator idea. Do you know if the 30amp (~360W) alternator (Seadoo specifically) can help re-charge the battery drain from amp? My local dealer indicated the factory alternator isn't strong enough to re-charge the battery and still run the motor.

We use a deep cycle battery and isolator system as Tony suggested. It works great with our Amp/system. I do find myself giving the deep cycle a good charge on an external charger maybe 2-3 per season. And that is with at least an outing per week.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back