Additional Shade with a beach umbrella on transom

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

anthonymsaad

Hey

This is a modification my father and I did after coming up with the idea while fishing. Probably will not work or be practical with most models, but for those with a newer 210 Challenger, or any boat utilizing a ski pylon in the transom, it will work. For those with the SE model and transat seats, it is great addition to the transom.

Pretty much, the Bimini top doesn't cover the back of the boat when stopped and trying to enjoy the transom. For my boat, we have a ski pylon that sticks out of the transom. When we stop to fish, we use the transat seats, which are great and reminds you of the beach, but with no shade, it gets uncomfortably hot and wish we had a beach umbrella. Well, we had noticed that the opening for the ski pylon is pretty deep and that we can put a beach umbrella in there. Since the diameter of the pylon was machined to fit in there precisely, with little give, a normal beach umbrella wont fit well without moving about or blown out by wind. We address this issue but getting a 2" pvc pipe, with a narrowing open, that will allow us to replace the pylon with the pvc pipe with an opening to accept a stock beach umbrella. To prevent the pvc pipe from moving too much, and restrict it from going too deep in the opening and pushing the rubber protector into the engine bay, we took put in a basic rubber pvc coupler and tightened that on. This allowed us to adjust the height depending upon if we were using the transat seats or sitting on the rests when the seats are up. Next, we had to fix the fitting issue, so the pipe isn't loose. Using some weather proofing tape laying around, we wrapped a few layers around the pipe to get a snug fit near the bottom of the pipe. We added some taping to the umbrella itself to help mark how deep to put the umbrella and to ensure a tight fit.

Sorry for the length of that, but after using it for a few months, its been great having! Really increased the shade and made the transom more usable when stopped. In my profile picture, I have the umbrella installed in the back. Additionally, the pvc pipe is removable, so when we are moving, we pull it out and put the ski pylon back in.

If everyone has any further questions, I would be glad to answer them.

We did this with a golf umbrella and an old aluminum tube we had lying around. It worked great at noon but the golf umbrella was just too small and since it could bend at all we ended up not using it much

I never thought to use a beech umbrella

With a beach umbrella, we found some decent shade, especially since we can adjust the hight and lower it when sitting down that it does a great job. Our umbrella can be adjusted and bend, but if a breeze comes, it will either spin it around or blow if out of the pipe. To secure the umbrella, I ended up angling my guide light, on the top of the Bimini, downwards and wrap the ties for the umbrella, to keep it wrapped up when not in use, around the light. This helped a lot to prevent unwanted sway and losing the umbrella.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back