Adding VTS to SeaDoo GTI 130

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys,

I recently bought a brand new 2013 SeaDoo GTI 130. I haven't taken delivery of the ski yet, but am looking to add a VTS module, and am a bit confused. According to the manufacturer, you can only add a VTS module to model years 2011 and below. However, there is no explanation as to why you cannot add it to the newer models.

Here is a link to the 2011 GTI VTS module form the manufacturer:
http://store.sea-doo.com/product/759298/295100433/_/Variable_Trim_System_Module

I have conflicting statements from dealers as to whether or not they can install this, but I was planning on just doing it myself. The only possible explanation I was able to find online is that models after 2011 have a Sport/ECO button on the left hand steering wheel cover, where the VTS button would go. Can anybody confirm this (with pictures perhaps)? Also, could I buy a LH steering cover from a GTR 215 picured below (which has both VTS and Sport/ECO buttons on the left hand side) and use that for the GTI 130.

http://seadooonboard.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/2013-sea-doo-speed-tie_2-smaller-for-blog.jpg

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

If I recall correctly it cannot be added after 2011 model because of the iBR system. I think that's when it was a standard feature on the GTI model. Lots more electronics involved than the previous year.

No offense here but uhm....why go through the trouble adding vts to a 130?

Good point, since you haven't taken delivery, why not just buy a ski with a VTS, also personally I don't think you're gonna be satisfied with the performance of a GTI 130.

Lou

While I haven't yet taken delivery, the ski is already paid for. The next available ski with VTS, in my area, is a GTI 130 SE, which is approximately $1000 more out the door (from multiple quotes), and that offers no performance upgrades. Most of the other brand new skis are out of my price range, which is why I'm not just buying a ski with VTS. As far as performance, my last ski was a 2002 GTI-LE with a whopping 85 horesepower (questionable), so I'm not too concerned. A VTS module and left hand cover will cost $190 shipped, which is a lot more afforable than an extra $1000+ for a different ski, if I can get it to work.

Back to original question, does anyone with a 2011+ GTI 130 care to weigh in on whether they think this is possible. Do the newer models have a similar or identical diagnostic connector to the 2011 models?

Thanks!

Okay...since I don't have an '11 or newer anything...can't help you.

Which still brings me back to my question...;)

What do you hope to gain by adding vts to that ski?

Okay...since I don't have an '11 or newer anything...can't help you.

Which still brings me back to my question...;)

I dont think your question matters he didnt start the thread to inform everyone on the forum WHY he wants one....if he wants to add a VTS why cant he...sorry for being rude but I dont think your unhelpful and harassing input is appreciated by the OP..

From my experience, VTS is EXREMELY useful in improving ride quality in choppy water, like Lake Michigan, which happens to be the only place I use my skis. I'd prefer to have the ability to set the VTS up and go over waves, as opposed to going through them. Again, if I had the money to buy a better equipped and more powerful ski, I would, but that isn't happening.

Personally I found VTS makes very little difference on these watercraft. Save your $$. It's nothing like trim on a boat where you really notice the difference. Mine is set at default and it will most likely stay there forever.

On the 2011-13 GTI hull, VTS is not very helpful. It does make a big difference on other hulls but not this one.

If you want to add it, it should be no problem if you get all the components but don't forget that the pump nozzle configuration is different and will also need replaced. The SE model has some other options such as boarding ladder and other somewhat useful items so it isn't just $1000 for the VTS.

I dont think your question matters he didnt start the thread to inform everyone on the forum WHY he wants one....if he wants to add a VTS why cant he...sorry for being rude but I dont think your unhelpful and harassing input is appreciated by the OP..

Tell you what, Kev...

If I can help someone from wasting their time and or money on a course of action....I intend to do so. To do that I need information....more than what has been listed so far. Nothing I've said in this thread would/should bother a single reader here. The fact that you find my questions harassing, leads me to believe you got some other issue with me.

Tell you what...read exactly what I've said....don't read into it...don't read between the lines....just exactly what I've written. If you still find anything harassing in what I've said here...put me on fckng ignore.

From my experience, VTS is EXREMELY useful in improving ride quality in choppy water, like Lake Michigan, which happens to be the only place I use my skis. I'd prefer to have the ability to set the VTS up and go over waves, as opposed to going through them. Again, if I had the money to buy a better equipped and more powerful ski, I would, but that isn't happening.

10-4...most guys use vts when doing closed course bouy races as well and also to help keep the nose down for pulling tubes and such.

I do know a guy with an old rxp who also added 4 degrees of wedge...why?...to get air offa waves.

If you're looking for ridability in heavy chop....once your trimmed up...if you find the ride a bit squirrely keep skegs in mind. They'll help straight line tracking through the chop as well as giving your arms a break since your ski would no longer be hunting side to side.

10-4...most guys use vts when doing closed course bouy races as well and also to help keep the nose down for pulling tubes and such.

I do know a guy with an old rxp who also added 4 degrees of wedge...why?...to get air offa waves.

If you're looking for ridability in heavy chop....once your trimmed up...if you find the ride a bit squirrely keep skegs in mind. They'll help straight line tracking through the chop as well as giving your arms a break since your ski would no longer be hunting side to side.

I used to trim the VTS up every time I was hitting wake from huge boats to maximize air time and height lol! It helped tremendously.

On the 2011-13 GTI hull, VTS is not very helpful. It does make a big difference on other hulls but not this one.

If you want to add it, it should be no problem if you get all the components but don't forget that the pump nozzle configuration is different and will also need replaced. The SE model has some other options such as boarding ladder and other somewhat useful items so it isn't just $1000 for the VTS.

I think what I'll do is wait until I can test ride a GTI 130 SE to see if the VTS makes any considerable difference in my specific riding conditions. And good lookin' out ski-d00, I hadn't considered differences in the pump nozzle.

Anything else we're missing?

Shorts marine in Delaware. That doesn't include the trailer. I bought it during boatshow weekend so I got the four-year service. I also was able to finance for 48 months. I went in looking at the sparks but by the end found it was better to get a leftover ski and then we just went in haggled back-and-forth for a while

Does Chicago have a boat show coming up?

Negative, it already passed.

The GTI 130 SE really isn't an option for me as most dealers around me either don't have it, or are not willing to come down on the price (even after weeks). Besides, the 130 is already paid for and I'm sure it will be perfectly sufficient.

I also found a website that advertises a VTS module for all 2011+ models. While I know this isn't true, I'm probably going to buy it anyway, see if there is a way to install it, and if not, return it.

Negative, it already passed.

The GTI 130 SE really isn't an option for me as most dealers around me either don't have it, or are not willing to come down on the price (even after weeks). Besides, the 130 is already paid for and I'm sure it will be perfectly sufficient.

I also found a website that advertises a VTS module for all 2011+ models. While I know this isn't true, I'm probably going to buy it anyway, see if there is a way to install it, and if not, return it.

You will love it! Keep us posted on how the install works.enjoy the ski! Safe travels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back