A little slack in the steering.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

scooper77515

freebie fixer
Premium Member
I see no obvious problems. But I DO see a little play at all junctures of the steering system.

I took the top off the helm, and there is a tiny bit of slack there, and it appears that the plastic bushing in the middle is broken and possibly worn a bit.

Then where the adjustment nuts are to adjust the alignment, there is a little wobble there, and just a tad of wobble at the jet where it hooks up.

All in all, it amounts to a pretty good bit of slack.

What should I do to fix all of this? How much of this is normal?

Scott, I don't think you can remedy the problem as the cable on the Challenger is a sealed cable with no replacement parts. If you can't adjust the play out to your satisfaction, then you will need to replace the cable assembly. It shouldn't be a mayor problem while underway unless it drifts too much at speed and you need to keep turning your hands left and right to maintain control.

Karl

No, it is more like a car out of allignment. I just have to turn 11 oclock to the left to keep the boat straight at speed. I checked the allignment and it was dead on, but with the play, it pulls.

it could be a jet problem,like wear ring
I do not think that it is a jet problem I THANK THAT IT MAY BE SLAP WORE OUT! Just kiding hopefully you may be able to make a adjustmet. Your year is about as old as mine I would think think that the alignment may not be perfect but you should be able to make adjustments to be exceptable. If not find out were all the play is and replace bad parts. good luck Robin :hat:

Does your boat lean more to one side than the other? We have the same situation with out speedster, and the cable doesn't seem to be the problem. I think it's because the boat leans a little to the drives side, just has to do with the weight distrubition.

Had same problem,was caused by a rope that was sucked up into jet.Remove rope then had problem with pulling to one side.One jet was working better than other.fixed problem by replacing wear ring.Another way to diag,is to play with the throttles and see which one needs more throttle to go straight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back