99 gsx limited starter issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan15

Installed new starter and bendix on my 99 gsx L. Went to start and the starter just spins and does not engage flywheel. Any help is appreciated before I have to tear it all back apart again. Thanks.

Sounds like the bendix is not extending to engage the flywheel. You could try tapping the starter at the engine side with a hammer (not to hard) to see if the bendix is just bound up. If that doesn't work you probably need to remove the starter and jump it to the battery to see that the bendix fully extends. You may be able to extend the bendix by rotating it by hand. Secure the starter in a vice because it will recoil when you jumper it.

I would look at the alignment of the starter, you could have pinched the bendix a little when you installed it. I would remove and reinstall. You could , while it is out, add power to it to see if bendix moves. Be careful there is a lot of torque from starter, it will twist when you apply power.

951 bendix is not part of starter. Motor turning… need to check bendix install.
290232480 needle bushing installed??…correctly??

Did you grease up the spring in the bendex cover?did you drop a shim on the back side of bendix?and did you happen to check the bearing in the crankcase also?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back