98 XP Limited 951. Engine Drain Line

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiger2

I bought this ski not too long ago. I noticed on the outside of the transom right below where the steering linkage comes out that there was a carriage bolt.

When messing with it it was sticking out and from the inside i noticed that the engine drain line was on it.

So it seems like someone jammed a carriage bolt through the transom and blocked off the lower engine drain line....I think.

Has anyone heard of that? I can't run it like that correct because the water would go in the hull? if I take the bolt out there is an open hole into the hull as well.

Also if that is the lower end engine drain line with a dedicated thru hull wouldn't water back up in the motor when just sitting in the water?

Attachments

• bolt.jpg
    bolt.jpg
    437.9 KB · Views: 35
Maybe was a northern ski and PO used that to drain anti-freeze. But HEY, I'm in
Florida. Bill

If you remove the bolt is the drain line still able to connect to the opening?

It is possible that it was plugged for the winter if the previous owner wanted the engine to hold antifreeze over the winter. He may have forgotten to remove it when riding season came around again.

I think your assumption is correct that water would back up in the engine if the drain line is plugged. I would remove the bolt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Contacted the PO and he does not remember. Which is what I thought. I dont think the line can still attach to the opening. It was late last night so I didn't mess with it that much.

The bolt goes through the transom and the hose attaches to the end of the bolt.

So I guess I have to get a little crafty and fix someone else's screw up.

Here's my next question. As you can see it would come out just below the steering linkage. If I take the bolt out and figure a way to connect the hose securely, while sitting in the water wouldn't water want to go back through the hose and in the engine? It connects on the block pretty low so I was thinking the water may back up in the block if it sits in the water??

You should be able to reconnect it with a proper fitting (a hose nipple) and most likely some waterproof adhesive. You should be able to figure something out.

Water shouldn't back up into the engine since you are essentially putting the hose back to where it was originally. That's how they built it.

Thanks nerdlinger. You have a 99 xp limited. I'm hoping the setup would be the same. Would you be able to check your setup and maybe take some pictures of yours or send me a drawing.

The reason I though water would go back in would be because i thought that the port would be under the waterline and where the hose nipple attaches to the lower part of the block.

how is yours setup?

Mine just has an opening where your screw is, but I can't see what line leads to it because the VTS box is in the way in the rear compartment. You must have already removed the box from what you have described.

Have you been on the lake yet? If so, have you had any problems with engine power? Has there been a lot of water in the rear compartment? Is there an inordinate amount of water draining from the hull after you open the drain plugs? A yes to any of those questions would be a clue to your problem.

Try hooking up to a garden hose and see if you have any leaks or if water accumulates in the hull. Take that screw out and see if water drains from the hose. If it does, then its purpose was just to plug that hole, possibly for antifreeze purposes and you just need to fix it as we talked about earlier. Did you ask the previous owner if he winterized it with antifreeze? It is the smart thing to do up north from what I have been told, but I don't need to do it here in GA.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know exactly what it is. The hole is supposed to be there and connect to the lower engine drain hose. I'm guessing the bolt was put there by the PO during winterization is my bet.

I'm glad I caught this now before trying to run it or it would have been very bad.

Thanks for your help trying to figure this out with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back