98 speedster willnt start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

turtle23

ok here it is i just had both motors replaced last April. Ran it a bunch of times over the summer, ran awesome, until the reverse cables broke. Anyways i screwed up and all fall and winter i was too busy to winterize it. I know, I know!! This weekend i charged the battery, the fuel smells good, but when i crank it you can hear the motors start to turn over but they have kind of a clunk noise. it doesnt sound like anything cracked it just doesnt sound even close to turnin over. PLZZ HELP!!
Thanks

I would look in the impeller nozzle assy. and see if something is in there first. Than I would pull the spark plugs. If the plugs look wet or rusted than you might have an almost seized engine. Squirt a couple Oz's of some marvel mystery oil in the plug holes and let it soak for a few hrs. Move the boots off the impeller shafts and turn the engines by hand and see it they turn over freely. If you use the starter you could do more damage than turning by hand. If they turn free, I would do a compression check to tell you what is going on inside the engine. The ideal compression should be 150 psi. per cylinder. If it's below 100 psi, or If it doesn't turn free and it's hard to turn by hand than you'll have to pull the heads off and see what damage is to the cylinders and pistons and rings, if you go in the repair direction. Another item that might be bad is the starter. If the plugs look ok and you can turn the motors freely by hand it could be the starter that is not working, and causing the noise you heard. Let us know how you make out, or if you have other questions give us a shout and we'll do what we can to help you out.

Karl

hey thanks karl ill check those out. i was thinking today I may not have a fully charged battery since both motors are doing the exact same thing i was thinking the battery may not have enough juice to turn them over. or atleast thats what im preying for.
well thanks again

Juice.....

You could be onto something there Turtle......the electrical system will shut down and not allow the starters to engage if the cranking amps fall below a certain criteria........I don't know the exact amount needed, but my battery is going bad and when I try to start, I will have pretty much the same symptoms your describing. I do a charge and all works well.
But because your motor set up without lubrication protection from moisture, I'd do the inspections KustomKarl has suggested. That way, you are doing the minor requirements in checking the engine(s) for seizure and reliability (in compression).
Good luck.............:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back