98 speedster dies when idling

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rkkoeb

So we had the boat out this weekend and had something unusual happen for the first time. While idling and waiting to get into the dock our boat would just turn off, both engines, I removed the DSS and installed it back on and if fired right up. This happen about 5 times in a row. Never had that issue before and it didn't happen again for the rest of the day. What can be the issues?

If it's both engines together... then it's electrical. You either have a bad ground in the engine compartment... or more likely... you have a DESS post that is going bad. The little switch inside doesn't last forever.

I am thinking it may be the DESS going bad. If this is true and I replace it do i need to have it programmed? I would most likely replace the landyard at the same time. Again do I need to have them programmed and if so who does it? Any recommendation for a place to purchase both items from?

Thanks

+2 on the ground, I had a bad ground in electrical box and it was quite the problem, also had caused low battery which made even more problems. The ground was kinked/corroded internally, so sometimes the boat would rip all day or , wouldn't start after stalling and have to be limped or towed in . 1998 does have DESS, SEA DOO dealer can do it , or you can send your mpem to a place that programs them , or buy the programmer and do it your self for $400 or so.

+2 on the ground, I had a bad ground in electrical box and it was quite the problem, also had caused low battery which made even more problems. The ground was kinked/corroded internally, so sometimes the boat would rip all day or , wouldn't start after stalling and have to be limped or towed in . 1998 does have DESS, SEA DOO dealer can do it , or you can send your mpem to a place that programs them , or buy the programmer and do it your self for $400 or so.
If he just needs the post (boat side) he doesn't need the dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back