98 Seadoo Speedster Hull Damage

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys,

I just recently picked up a 98 seadoo speedster for cheap. It has some damage to the hull as you can see in the pics I posted. It doesn't look pretty but the damage hasn't punctured the fiberglass and really isnt that deep. Is there some sort of a repair I could do myself to protect and preserve the fiberglass? I then hope to get some paint on it to closely match the original white.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
20200731_212013.jpg20200731_212021.jpg20200731_212028.jpg

With the little fibreglas work that I've done you should sand that down then ,if you want it smooth, use some putty ,sand it smooth then spray gelcoat. Sprayin gelcoat is gonna leave a orangepel finish that you have to wetsand/buff down.
To spray gelcoat you mix it with little parafine to make it cure in open air but it leaves it with that orangepeel finish.
So....it's gonna take some work but it will last a long time doin it right

With the little fibreglas work that I've done you should sand that down then ,if you want it smooth, use some putty ,sand it smooth then spray gelcoat. Sprayin gelcoat is gonna leave a orangepel finish that you have to wetsand/buff down.
To spray gelcoat you mix it with little parafine to make it cure in open air but it leaves it with that orangepeel finish.
So....it's gonna take some work but it will last a long time doin it right

What type of putty would you recommend?

As racerxxx says it's not gonna match 100% but I would'nt worry about it. I did mine 2015 and it's a modelyear 2000 and it was above the rubrail. I use the first best gelcoat I could find at a boatshop. Yes you can see the differnce but not as much as you would thing. I polished the hull before I sprayed the gelcoat.
If you want it mint, do the hole side,if not do just the bad area

Last edited:
I've always used marine tex for any gouges on a hull. You can get it in white. I assume that's a good substrate for gel coat. You don't have to spray gel coat. You can roll it on. Then wet sand and buff it. You might even be able to get away with just using resin. Or, get a really cool big sticker and just cover it. Ski guys always say a well place sticker will cover that. Plenty of how to's on YouTube also. West Marine had some how to's as well as product.

Oh, I should have prefaced my marine tex with...... It was on the bottom and I didn't really care how it matched so I never put gel coat over it.

I've always used marine tex for any gouges on a hull. You can get it in white. I assume that's a good substrate for gel coat. You don't have to spray gel coat. You can roll it on. Then wet sand and buff it. You might even be able to get away with just using resin. Or, get a really cool big sticker and just cover it. Ski guys always say a well place sticker will cover that. Plenty of how to's on YouTube also. West Marine had some how to's as well as product.

Ya I've heard good things about the marine tex. I'm in canada, so it's a little harder to find but I have found a similar product called
PC-11. I may try that and see how it is to work with and sand. That would be great if I can just roll on clear coat because I dont have the ability to use a spray gun properly.
I know we sanding and polishing can make a rookie paint job look damn good....or good enough in this case.
Thanks for the input!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back