98 GTX Limited bottom of hull filled with oil

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

MK99XPx2

I'm new here. So go easy. Lol. I went to check out a 98 GTX Limited that is in incredibly good condition. Adult owned, 28 hours, super clean and sits on a double trailer that is also in great shape. Here's the bad part. The seller is a pretty well known University teacher in the state I live in. He also has dealings with being overseas for long periods of time. The ski and trailer were in storage for the last 5 years. So I already know the carbs are coming off. But this ski looks like New. I pulled the seat off and immediately see quarts and quarts of 2 stroke oil in the bottom of the hull. The level being just above the bilge pumps in the back. And the ski was level. Oil tank was 3/4's full. The entire hull was coated in 2 stroke oil meaning that it was probably in use when either the bottom seal let go on the tank or a line split. But I did feel the lines connected to the pump and they seemed tight. Never seen anything like it. Ever. Compression is a little under 150 on both. Seller has no clue as to what happened. Should I believe this guy or not? I was looking at spending 2k on the ski and trailer. Bad move or not? Any help would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

It's not necessarily bad... but for $2k... it should be a "Running" ski. If you have to figure out why the oil is there, replace a battery, clean the carbs, flush the fuel, change the fuel hoses, and hope that there isn't something majorly wrong with it... it's worth a lot less.

The reason for the hoses is that the "Tempo" fuel lines are a known issue. They decay internally, and mess up everything.

Anyway... I would offer him $1k if it's clean.

The oil in the hull probably leaked around the grommet in the bottom of the oil tank where the main oil line connects. So it's probably not a big deal, except for the mess in the hull. However a ski sitting for 5 years can have major problems, ie the crank seals, and you are correct you will need to overhaul the carbs, change the fuel lines, clean fuel filters.

The good news is you have good compression and the engine turns over.

Lou

I had the same problem with my 97 GTX. It ended up being the return line from the crank case. It is located under the exhaust and is hard to get to. You will have to trace the lines and see if any are wet. There is one line going to the oil injection pump. There is a line going into the crank case on the carb side and the return line is under the exhaust.

The good news is you have good compression and the engine turns over.

Lou

There is one issue there. Since it's been sitting... I bet the jugs are full of oil, and it will be hard to get a real compression reading off of it.

My 99 leaked oil from the tank grommet. So did my 02 XP. Easy fix.

Clean all the oil out and see what happens. 2k only if it runs and you water test it.

I have a '99 for sale, but I'm in PA.

Hey guys. Sorry about the late reply. You guys are great. I actually offered him $1500 but that I wanted to lake test it. I offered to pay gas and entrance fee. He wouldn't go for it. So I walked away. What's the point of having a good looking ski if its only going to sit on the trailer with issues. So I'm still in the mad search for a 3 seater.
I'm totally thankful to you guys here. My wife actually told me about all the depots as I was in an area with extremely poor reception. She knows when it comes to skis that any info from you guys is important. So again, thanks from Arizona and I'll keep you posted on a 3 seater.

I think you made the right decision.

Lou

yip, if the owner says no way to the test ride, then no way to the purchase. (oddly enough I rarely see people ask for test rides when they buy a ski, i've had people buy a ski w/o taking the seat off before)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back