RESTO 98 GSX Resto

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
It has been a while since we posted on this. Since the post the motor was rebuilt. The pistons from the engine we got from [MENTION=51824]Matt Braley[/MENTION] were sold to [MENTION=37676]purple_people_eater[/MENTION] , they were oem single ring racing pistons. We had the cylinders bored at lakes powersports to fit the new pistons that were in the original motor. The crank got new bearings, all the seals and gaskets were replaced too. New reeds were ordered, and the motor was painted.

The color is actually a blood red with alot of flake in it, my camera wont capture it though.

The exhaust was all painted black
The hood should be back tomorrow. We got a few sneak peak pictures of it today

and i was very glad to get them, thanks a lot, i now have a set for my xpl build.

Where did you get the complete black bumper kit, I have 2 96 GSXs with purple bumpers I would like to switch to black? Thanks and that thing looks AWESOME so far!

Hey JSG, sent you a few pm's regarding the bar pad stencils.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Started to work on the carbs. This is the bracket for the air box. It was nasty. I used bartenders helper to clean it

We bought a second set of carbs for $75 on ebay because the pump T nipple was broken.

The rest of the original carbs were in decent shape besides the filters.

We bought the osd carb kits with mikuni needles and seats. Tomorrow I will rebuild them.

Last edited by a moderator:
The motor is complete. The reeds pedals were replaced with carbon fiber ones. One of the reed stops was cracked so we had to order a new one. It was only $11 at the dealer but it set us back a week waiting for it.

The motor was shoe horned in and aligned.

Went to bolt on the umi and the opening is not quite large enough. We trimmed about 1/2 off the lower long side. Almost down to where it dips. We just used a angle grinder with a cutoff wheel. It went fast and easy.

We covered the engine with plastic as well as filling under the area we were cutting with plastic

We also bought a new PJS 3 button holder. Looks just like the umi. It was $125 on ebay.

We cleaned up the umi stem. The bars are pitted and will be replaced with black bars. We did put the finger throttle, button holder and grips on though until the new bars are ordered.

These were taken just before we cut the opening for the steering larger. We did it outside so all the fiberglass wasnt flying around the inside of the shop.

Oh we also switched out the oil tank. We put a one piece tank in. The later model ones will leak at the seam. Of you do this make sure to change the bottom piece out as well. The 96 has a feed nipple and return nipple. The 951 engines only have a feed.

Thank you sir, these gsx hulls dont get the attention that the xp's get in the build threads but these are great looking seadoos. We are still looking for matching fuel and Oil caps that are billet. All that is left on this is to put the airbox, the billet fuel knob, and head pipe on. Oh and registration number will be cut.

Ok water test and break in started Friday night.

Day 1. Started right up. Idled out and everything looked good. No water leaks, sounded good. Throttle responce was nice and crisp. She pulled hard even at lower rpms. Made sure not to go over 3/4 throttle. It ran perfect the whole time. Not one stumble or bog. It was very responsive at all times. We have this jetted at 80 for the pilot and 162.5 for the main. 0 for the hi screw 1 3/4 for the low.

At the end of the 1 hr ride we head to shore, pull the seat and there is 3 inches of water. No water made it to the carbs. It went on the trailer and after we drained all the water we backed the trailer in to water and started it. We looked for leaks at all the exhaust and hose joints. There were no leaks we could see. Water was filling back up though slowly. Checked the carbon ring and that looked fine as well. We flipped over the bailers and one was pouring water in. Now we made sure the hose was hung up high, it was. Checked the 90 fitting and it was clean and had no blockage. Check the pump and one of the plastic tubes was missing. So of course we didnt bring one of those. So a quick fix was to remove the plastic bailer part, run the tube out the back by the grab bar. We zipped it down to the grab bar and put the seat on. It was now pissing water out that line and it looked like a second pee tell. It would have a stronger stream the more throttle you applied.

Day 2 ran strong all day with 0 issues. Besides the jimmy rigged bailer.

Yeah your gonna have trouble upgrading from that. More work and more money may not yield a better result. I think you guys have about pegged it with this one.

Thanks guys! It is almost done. It is getting black dominator bars. The ones on it now are a little pitted. It is also getting a bar pad that will match.

I know its been a while but where did you have the carbon fiber seadoo decal and the gsx decal made? Very interested in getting some for mine lol

Can't believe I hadn't seen this thread sooner. I am a big fan of GSXL's. I did just sell my 1998, but this thread gives me even more motivation for restoring my 1997.5 GSXL. Great looking ski and great job as always on the restore JSG!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back