RESTO 98 GSX Resto

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just sent you a book of a PM. lol

What a pile of scrap metal btw. It's awful what some people's children are willing to do. It really grinds my gears.

Only plus we had today was these parts went on
466.jpg

467.jpg

And even the tow hook was a pita....
We had to cut a hole in the foam to get to the top nut.

468.jpg

Dangit, I forgot to look into my XPL parts for you,
Wish you were closer I would let the whole hull and 951 engine go for a great deal.

Rob

i've got cases, and a mono block from a 98 gsxl. mono block needs to be honed but its all in pretty good condition as are the cases, no repairs. motor had 120 hours on it. motor seized because the PO rode it and put it up wet for the "winter" which ended up being a couple years.

here's the cases: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201312998367 can get mono block pics if you're interested. i've got everything off this ski still. only things not available are the mpem,vts,harness, and gauges.

All taken care of, we ordered everything we need.
Another week and we should be back on schedule. [MENTION=51824]Matt Braley[/MENTION] hooked us up. We have some special stuff coming in for this one. Spent about $1000 on this tonight. You guys should love it.

Last edited by a moderator:
New billet knob from [MENTION=29781]Spimothy Leary[/MENTION] it is just mocked up, the fuel lines need to be switched out before we mount it.

509.jpg

This seat was just wrapped and placed on here until it is picked up. We wrapped it for $100 for a guy.
510.jpg

511.jpg

512.jpg

That white pipe is 2mm larger on the inside. The original exhaust manifold is port matched to work with this. If your using a normal 951 manifold then I would open it up on the inside.

JSG. I notice you wrap alot of seats, but it doesnt ever look like you use the corner pieces. Have you ever found a good source for those, or ever thought about building up the corners underneath the fabric so it doesnt have that indentation?

We have put corners on some. You can find good used ones and clean them up with degreaser. I have not found anyone that makes them though.

We bought a motor from [MENTION=51824]Matt Braley[/MENTION], it just came in yesterday.

592.jpg

593.jpg

We stripped it down today.

The head is perfect. It is a pump gas R&D head. The domes are perfect.

The bore is stock and it has oem pistons in it but they only have one ring. I thought the oem ones had 2. The cases are really clean. The crank was in great shape just needs new outer seals. The counter balancer was great too. All around great motor

Thanks Matt

We bought a motor from [MENTION=51824]Matt Braley[/MENTION], it just came in yesterday.

592.jpg

593.jpg

We stripped it down today.

The head is perfect. It is a pump gas R&D head. The domes are perfect.

The bore is stock and it has oem pistons in it but they only have one ring. I thought the oem ones had 2. The cases are really clean. The crank was in great shape just needs new outer seals. The counter balancer was great too. All around great motor

Thanks Matt
If they only have one ring then they are oem single ring racing pistons made by brp for racing applications. Do they look like the ones I'm using in my r motor build? if so you need to be aware that due to the single ring, while they do provide less rotating resistance, they only last ~50 hours. looks like a clean motor tho, i've never been a fan of aftermarket heads, but it does look dang pretty.

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?73467-Project-Phoenix-96-xp-resto-1020-R-build-and-swap

piston pics in post number 5

Same pistons even the size. We will take those out and then either buy new regular stock pistons or have this bored over to fit our new pistons from the scrap heap motor.

This had decals put on today as well

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

The gsx logo will go on soon. Deciding on what color for the backround shadow.

That;s looking great. I had one of these for a while. My wife rode it most of the time and I rode a 3 seater. I regret not riding it more.

That doo went like a bat out of hell. The acceleration was incredible. I miss it but we needed another 3 seater for longer and choppier riding.

The hood is out getting painted and the umi will be going on soon too. We bought a complete umi setup for this but the button holder and finger throttle screws are frozen. It was a saltwater setup we got.

It has been a while since we posted on this. Since the post the motor was rebuilt. The pistons from the engine we got from [MENTION=51824]Matt Braley[/MENTION] were sold to [MENTION=37676]purple_people_eater[/MENTION] , they were oem single ring racing pistons. We had the cylinders bored at lakes powersports to fit the new pistons that were in the original motor. The crank got new bearings, all the seals and gaskets were replaced too. New reeds were ordered, and the motor was painted.

The color is actually a blood red with alot of flake in it, my camera wont capture it though.

The exhaust was all painted black
The hood should be back tomorrow. We got a few sneak peak pictures of it today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back