97 xp down

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
That sucks man, not sure what now. Next try what Lou said. It won't cost anything to take it apart, then decide what you need to put it back together. Right now you are only looking at $10 for gaskets.

You can take the mag. cover off but I honestly doubt that you'll find anything, you might have a broken flywheel, but I doubt it. It's also a bitch to get the cover off.

We know that you need at least an top end rebuild, and the motor is 16 years old.

Unless you have a lot of mechanical knowledge have access to a local machine shop I would put it back together send it to SBT, SES, or Full Bore and get a re-manufactured engine with a warranty.

You might want to PM Dr Honda, and see what he thinks.

Lou

That's an option Lou, but an expensive one.

I don't know much after this point to be honest, ask doc, and ya it could be the fly wheel.

Again if it was me, I guess I would try the fly wheel next. Crappy deal.

You're right Thumper, it is just my opinion, I probably should have stated that in my original post. It's probably what I would do if it happened to me.

Lou

So bottom line i'm looking at both a new topend and bottomend correct?? there is only one shop on the island that deals with seadoos and its a 2 hour drive, i'm feelen isolated lol. say you go for a sbt 787 cyl. exchange topend kit (475.00) would it be a straight install and good to go or would there be adjustments needed??

bolt up and go if everything else checks out.

you can expect to invest a little in other things as well if needed besides just doing your motor as you can spend all that money to get tortured by other things.

I would suggest while your waiting for that top end to clean your entire fuel system including gas tank, fuel selector, replace fuel lines, clean or rebuild carbs.

Then check the drive system to make sure your carbon ring, and seal are in good shape still. That rear drive shaft housing needs to be greased and checked for play.

Pull off that jet pump or at least the front cone and see if any water is in there, make sure your wear ring and impeller are good.

Last and most important your Mpem, make sure all the connectors on the front are good and not green. Check for broken pins on the mpem and put some electrical grease on it.

If you do all this and get your motor fresh you will be good to go.

just try'en to weigh my options. the dealership will tell me its not worth it and try selling me one but i love that thing, its a blast to ride, very unstable adds to the fun factor. i spend most of the time try'en to throw myself off of it. lol

I wouldn't do all that as stated above until you find out the problem.

How does the starter gear look? If it looks worn then it's from that. That metal is weaker so it doesn't wear out the main gear which is more expensive and harder to replace.

If you want to keep this one, with out buying a new engine you have to find out what's wrong.

2 options.... 1 keep working away at it with the engine in the ski, or 2 just take it out. Out much easier to work on it, but more work to put it back together.

It doesn't cost anything to take it apart. You need to find the problem.

That would expected, I see that alot when parting out the 787 model ski's. I just bought a 1997 4th one but never actually rode one yet, so the fun factor is partly trying to stay on it? I think that its going to kill me out in the ocean then.

not bad, check the flywheel, does it have any grooves. Take a pic of the stator

Sometimes the crank can get so worn it actually cause your stator to get in contact with your flywheel.

i havent taken off the mag cover off yet. from my understang i have to lift the motor up a bit to get to it

Here's a write up I did recently re: removing the mag. cover.

There's really nothing special about removing the mag. cover except getting to the bolts and the bottom of the cover. You'll need to raise the engine about 1-1/2". Here's how I did it. I used a come-along with a nylon strap positioned under the front motor mount. I attached the come-along to a beam in the garage.

Just to be safe disconnect the battery and disconnect the plug in the mag. cover. If you need to remove the cover from the ski pinch off the oil feed, remove the main oil feed line and the two small oil injector lines. Remove the main bolt in the top of the motor mount. Lift the engine about 1-1/2" or so with the come-along. Block under the engine to keep the engine in the raised position. Lower the motor slightly and take the tension off the come-along.

Note the number of shims under the front motor mount, I also marked the position of the shim and the mount with a sharpie. Remove the front motor mount (2 bolts). You need to remove the motor mount to get to a couple of bolts at the bottom of the cover. Remove about 10ea. 10mm bolts around the mag. cover, I used a 1/4" drive and a wobble adapter, if the cover has never been removed you're gonna have trouble getting the socket to fit over the bolts, due to the thickness of the engine paint. Once you get the 10mm bolts removed the cover will come right off.

The first time a took the cover off it took 2-3 hours, but a lot of time was spent figuring out how to remove the cover. Long story short, it's not an easy job so make sure the problem you are having is actually inside the cover. Mine was not, it turned out to be the voltage regulator.

Lou

which is why i'm holding off for a bit. i dont have the equipment to do that

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya the gear on the starter looks good.

I have no idea what the 'ring gear blocking tool' is lol.

Either pull the mag cover or pto... 50/50 shot lol.

there is only one place on the island that deals with them as far as i can tell. which is never is good for a consumer and from what i've read seems to validate that. i made a appointmet with them but am very uneasy about it.

are there other places other than sbt that do rebuilds, just because i am as far as west coast as you can get and if i remeber correctly sbt is in florida

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the info . i'm leaning towards doing it my self . have the guid and if i need q's answered this is the right place to be

I really don't know what to say. I'm not looking at the engine, so I can't really say why you are getting a 1/4 turn out of it. Also... the pictures are small, and I can't tell how bad the damage is.

As far as your local dealer saying it's not worth rebuilding... my answer to that is... stop going to that dealer. They are always worth rebuilding, if the ski is in good shape.

As Lou said... it's probably not worth rebuilding it your self. You won't save $$$ in the end, and if you do... you will have an engine full of import parts, and no warranty. At my shop, I almost never rebuild an engine... unless a customer wants something custom. (porting, head work, etc)

Now... as thumpper was saying... I would want to know why it failed. So, I would take the engine out, and find the problem first.

True enough what Doc and Lou said. But I would definitely take it apart to see what the issue is and you will learn lots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back