97 xp down

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pull the starter is easy??? there no room to move lol. well igot the starter off but am still only able to get a 1/4 turn by hand and it its stiffer now to turn than before. :( is this a sign that its done

Last edited by a moderator:
hopefully theres some good news. i have the pump completly off, pto cover off, spark plugs out , and now the stater is off. any other ideas lol

I really can't think of any thing else to try, I guess it's time to take the head off and have a look inside.

Lou

i've done that posted a pic of it, there appears to be no visual damage on the surface

this is my first time dealing with this so any comments are greatly appreciated. these 2 pics are what im getting from that 1/4 turn

Attachments

• 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 11
If you haven't removed the jugs yet put a couple of ounces of Marvel Mystery oil or ATF in each jug, let sit over night and see it the pistons are seized.

Lou

To bad it wasn't the starter. You have the top of the heads off and when you try and move the crank by hand, do they move at all? If not, would seem seized. I would do what Lou said, or even wd-40 at let it sit, then some more etc.

However if you are impatient like I am, you can pull a jug and see. If you are going to do that, start making a list of new gaskets and such. gl

sorry but what do you mean by "jugs" yes they do move you can tell by the 2 pics i posted . they are the range of the 1/4 turn. have to loook quickly and closely lol

Laying in bed typing on my phone, didn't look to closely at the pics lol.

In that case, if it was me and like you said you have everything else off first, time to start pulling them off. If it still won't turn after that then something else is jammed which well really suck. But you will be able to see into the crank.

You have to remove the bolts from the exhaust, and 4 bolts from each jug, then pull. But, make sure you disconnect the vent line. Each jug will have a line attached to it which is connected to a T. The lines are very short and a pain to get at.

But first thing, go buy those hex tools Lou mentioned in the other post. 10 min to get the bolts out then with much less swearing. Gl.

And make sure to just look over the service manual for your ski. I'm going off of mine 787.

Thumper i havnt done what you last mentioned yet. i'm pretty fresh at this stuff, just getting a little concerned with all the parts i have off right now. The original thought was that it may need motor a re-alignment. with what we've do so far has that been ruled out now. just wondering if i should get the pump redone and bake in, figure out if there is anything wrong with the stater, or just by a new one and get that back in before i continue on. like i said i'm a noobie at this. lol
p.s my 97 xp is a 787 as well

If you have the pump out, if your motor is aligned our not it wouldn't matter at this point there would be no restriction from the engine to the pump which could cause the problem. Starter is out so that's not the problem.

To test the starter just hook it up to a battery and if it works it will spin.

cool that starter was a pain.went out and got myself a little are ratchet made life alot easier lol. thaks once again

View attachment 11638
You have to remove the bolts from the exhaust, and 4 bolts from each jug, then pull. But, make sure you disconnect the vent line. Each jug will have a line attached to it which is connected to a T. The lines are very short and a pain to get at.

But first thing, go buy those hex tools Lou mentioned in the other post. 10 min to get the bolts out then with much less swearing. Gl.

And make sure to just look over the service manual for your ski. I'm going off of mine 787.

Are these the the bolts from the exhaust that you mentioned. top left of pic 1. or the ones behind the rave valves--if so that lower one on the right is goen to be a real tough one to get at. lol pic 2

Attachments

• 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 10
There are 4 bolts deep down in each jug, then for the exhaust you have to remove the bolts from the back side. I think 8 of them. See manual.

You have to remove the carbs I think to get at the bolts.

so the second pic i just posted. what page are you refering to on the manual, i have been looking at it but maybe i'm missing something. i'm looking at section 3 sub section 5
so i have to remove the exhaust manifold and in order to thhat i have to rmove the carbs-- correct?

from your pictures, it looks like you're getting some movement on the pistons when you are making your 1/4 turn of the crankshaft. someone suggested that the flywheel could have cracked, you could pull the stator cover and see what is going on under there before pulling the exhaust and jugs. i understand that the stator/magneto cover isn't the easiest to pull, but if you pull the jugs you're going to basically comitting to at least a top end rebuild before the thing goes back together. i'd rather have a plan of attack for troubleshooting rather than taking things apart until i find something broken. if the motor came loose, the driveshaft could have slipped out at the back of the motor. did you look at the rear of the ski as well to see if the rubber damper and joint is good at that end? where are you turning the motor over from? when the crank stops, does it stop soft like its binding up, or hard like its hitting something? I have heard that part of the problem with the XPs of this year was that the motor could move and the driveshaft shifts over and can rub the gas tank.

did you test the starter off the ski by hooking a battery charger or jumper cables to the ground(starter body) and positive connections to see if its working properly? sorry if you did i didn't see where you said it was good for sure.

worst case? possibly the balance shaft oil leaked out and it had a come apart? but that's a ways down the line after you check the other stuff.

as of right now the pump is off pic 1,2-- the stater is off but still connected to + cable, the jugs are exposed pic3, --i am trying to turn over motor from behind it pic4

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 6
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 5
From what I can see in picture 3 it looks like very little piston wash and the cylinders look dry. The absence of piston wash indicates a lean condition and the dry cylinders indicate a lack of lubrication.

Lou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back