97 xp clunking noise when trying to start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I found a dual mikuni rebuild kit that comes with oem rubber, they come with needles and seats plus stainless steel hardware kit. The hardware kit is aftermarket. Price is $120. Is this a good deal and is it okay that the hardware kit is aftermarket?

So I found a dual mikuni rebuild kit that comes with oem rubber, they come with needles and seats plus stainless steel hardware kit. The hardware kit is aftermarket. Price is $120. Is this a good deal and is it okay that the hardware kit is aftermarket?
the oem rebuild kits are $40 stick with them

The real mikuni kits are all over ebay - $43 as of yesterday is the cheapest I could find.

I have heard bad things about the blue fuel line, it does not last.

You are better off with standard automotive fuel hose. About 15' of 5/16" and 10' of 1/4".

I would also suggest replacing the fuel selector and fuel strainer.

Okay thanks. Also a little worried about the lack of grounding. There’s no grounding on the starter at all. From my understanding there should be a ground wire on the starter and then to the engine block (Where on the engine do you fasten it). Should there be any ground wires anywhere?

There’s the red positive, and black negative thick cables. But in the schematic I saw online there was also a smaller ground wire that connected to the starter.

There’s the red positive, and black negative thick cables. But in the schematic I saw online there was also a smaller ground wire that connected to the starter.

One of your pics shows the ground line from battery on one of the front starter bolts. Technically if the engine is grounded and the starter is bolted to the engine, it's grounded. Just move it to the ground point on the starter. You need 3 grounds to make the circuit, the large ground line to the starter/engine, the small ground wire off the rear box to the batt neg post, and the stator plug connected which has a ground going to the MPEM.

Last edited:
The 1997 XP only uses the big battery ground on the starter. There’s no little ground wire.

Also on the solenoid the positive cable looks chewed up and you need a ring terminal on the small positive cable not just the bare wire twisted around the post.

The 1997 XP has some of the longest cables on a ski and they need a perfect connection and are known to corrode from the inside. Your XP is probably the most common model to have cable issues because the battery is so far away.

Your negative cable is on the starter wrong.
You have the incorrect and probably aftermarket starter. It should have a separate threaded side lug just for the negative cable. And all aftermarket starters are junk and could very well be the issue.

Last edited:
Okay I’ll check it out tonight. I’ll pick up a bolt for the ground post. I ordered an oem starter from west side power sports and two mikuni carb rebuild kits that should be in mid next week. Going to pick up some fuel lines and hopefully swap them out this weekend. Going to build a pop off tester as well. Will report back.

Okay I’ll check it out tonight. I’ll pick up a bolt for the ground post. I ordered an oem starter from west side power sports and two mikuni carb rebuild kits that should be in mid next week. Going to pick up some fuel lines and hopefully swap them out this weekend. Going to build a pop off tester as well. Will report back.
dont forget a fuel selector valve and water separator

Can the water separator simply be cleaned out or does it need to be replaced? I’m assuming the fuel selector needs to be replaced as opposed to cleaned.

Sorry I was just referencing GGuillot’s post about the three ground points, specifically the small wire from the rear box to the negative terminal. So there is no wire that’s supposed to be there than?

No, the 1997 XP doesn't have a rear electrical box. The only thing back there is the battery and VTS trim module.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back