97 xp clunking noise when trying to start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perfect, so just switch the large black negative wire to the correct terminal on the new starter when it comes in and should be good to go

Okay so a little update. The starter finally came in tonight. Swapped it out with a used oem and the old starter was definitely a problem. Ski tries to turn over now but won’t fire up. After pulling the plugs it looks as if it’s not getting spark. I’d love for it to be as easy as just swapping the plugs out but I’m assuming it can’t be that easy. Also just for an update, about 3/4 of the way through replacing the grey lines. Will finish that this weekend and try to get the carbs rebuilt.

Also now that the starter is fixed I did a compression test. Front cylinder is registering 150psi and the back is registering 148-149

Compression sounds good. Unscrew spark plugs boots from wire and clip about 1/4" off then reapply boots. Start with fresh plugs. The correct ones. NGK BR8ES. These things use resister plugs and they do wear out quicker and can cause ignition issues when they start going out.

Yes the plugs were wet but I was cranking it over quite a bit. Don’t think it’s getting spark because when I pull the plugs and hit the starter button I don’t see any sparks coming from the plug

Nothing yet. Haven’t had a chance to dive into it. While I was waiting for the starter to come in I had taken a bunch of the connections appart and sprayed them with electrical connector cleaner, put some dielectric grease in them. Will probably recheck those to make sure all are connected properly. I also changed the 15 amp fuse in the electrical box. Electrical box had about an inch of water in it so cleaned that out. Picked up a couple of new spark plugs today, will change those out tonight and will try trimming a 1/4 inch off of the wires. Anyone know of a good place to start with diagnosing the electrical after that?

Changed spark plugs, set gap between .21-.24, cut a 1/4 from the wires and re installed and still no spark coming from the plugs when it’s grounded out on the engine.

You want some on the pins to prevent corrosion but you don’t need a ton. In theory once it is plugged back together the metal contacts will scrape it off to make the connections.

Okay so maybe there’s a little too much. I’ll work on getting some of it off tonight. Also wondering if everything is hooked up properly in the electrical box. Changed the 15 amp fuse and all of the fuses in the nose of the ski just to be safe. Are there any others?

Got it started. Cleaned The grease out of a few connectors, didn’t do the trick. Trimmed 1/4 off the ends of the ignition wires inside the electrical box. Then really pushed them back in, the plastic connector that holds them in is broken and really had to work it in (not sure if you can buy this part separately I’m worried it’s going to work it’s way loose after riding it a bit). Hit the start button, a little choke and it fired right up. Lots of smoke. Will run it on the hose tomorrow. Time to change the rest of those grey hoses out. Next week rebuilding the carbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back