97 Speedster getting water in impeller bearings/oil!!! on a new rebuild!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rippinXP17

Helllo Guys! I've been in this hobby for a few years now "Long time reader - first time poster"
Im not new to getting my hands dirty and I've never been one to pay someone else to work on my stuff. That being said, I am having an interesting issue with the pumps on a 97 Speedster. Let me give you a quick play by play on what I've done to this point.

I recently rebuilt both pumps since i needed to install new wear rings (figured since I was in there may as well do it) this included new wrist bearings, orings, impeller shaft seal, and thrust bearings. keep in mind when I initially took it apart it just had a bit of extra cavitation; hense the new wear rings (the old ones were really bad) but there was no problems with the bearings or seals in fact the oil looked really good!... But I rebuilt it all anyways I mean it is almost 20 years old! I'm sure they've been rebuilt but oh well.

So I got that done and we took it out for splash and all was good! but at the end of the second day out everything wasn't good... there was a seriously bad noise coming from the port pump. so we took it home tore it down to find out that the brand new bearings had all failed and destroyed EVERYTHING! even the cone was melted and UN-ussable! it looked like water had some how got in there and forced all the oil out or something, its hard to say since most of the forensic evidence was in the form of crumbled metal and debre where there used to be bearings..

I ordered a new housing kit that came with all new everything ; shaft, brearings, wear ring, cone ect ect. In-fact it came with all the bearings and shaft seal already installed! Awesome! bolt on and go deal! ok so you know it also came with oil so I used that thinking maybe the marine oil I was using before sucked... again got it back on the water and everything was great.

Now the Starboard side has failed the exact way- it just melted everything... so we orded the same kit again... but just out of curiostiy I took a look at the port side since I had the nozzle off and what not. and to my horror the oil was leaking out and it was all milky...so I pulled the cone off and the whole thing is full of milky nasty oil. now, in my experience milky oil means watery oil... Am I doing something wrong?! I mean the new kit had the seal and stuff already installed so it would be hard to do it backwards in my eyes! is this a normal problem?
Am I filling the oil wrong? (fill it untill it weeps out of the fill hole on the side of the cone)
I am pretty confused, its not rocket science I don 't think (I design robots and rockets for a living) this shouldn't be that hard... My Yamaha was way easier...
Is there a trick to make the seal work better? or maybe a special oil I should be using?

Thanks in advance!
Justin

a vacuum test makes more sense, almost like it would perhaps help the seal take a seat, then again Im not sure how I would rig up a vac test lol

Last edited by a moderator:
when i purchased my challenger with a seized pump . when it was last serviced the o-ring for nose cone had pushed out of its seat upon installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back