RESTO 97 Speedster cold, long winter resto project

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Help

Quick update, got both engines bled with the new oil in. There were a couple small bubbles so I was going to turn the engines over to fill up the small injector lines. Put in a fully charged battery, but got ZERO beeps. The boat came with two keys, and neither worked (they worked last fall when we got the boat). All accessories and lights work fine. Not sure where to go from here. Is there a chance BOTH keys are bad? Or would it most likely be the post?

I'll assume that you at least tried to start it even though it didn't beep. Is the control handle in neutral?

I'll assume that you at least tried to start it even though it didn't beep. Is the control handle in neutral?

Yep, engines wouldn't turn over in neutral or any position. No beeps. Even if it wasn't in neutral I should be getting 4 beeps correct?

All grounds hooked up and clean on the battery?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

There is slight corrosion on the battery terminals that I'll clean off before I actually put it in the water, but it should be fine since the accessories work fine.

When you get some time with a multimeter in hand just give me a call Matt, we can run through some testing on the keys, post and harness and there's a few other things on the grounds and low voltage output side of the module I'll walk you through.

If it doesn't show you any love after we run through testing just send it over and I'll bench test the module for you.

Quick question if you hit the start button a bunch of times does it do a short beep followed by a long?

Maybe bad nutral switch

Did you check all fused. 2 locations one by the steering wheel under the storage bin and other location is the rear box.

Nick, that would mean putting it in advanced diagnostics mode, correct? Funny you mention that, right after I covered the boat I was thinking about that. Will have to try it sometime this week. Even if it was a bad neutral switch, it should still give me 4 beeps because it's not recognizing it's in neutral right? Fuses in front are good. I'll have to check the ones in the silver box. Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Yes your correct. Try this put the key on the boat ad start shifting does it beep at all?

Also the mpem which reads the key is in the rear box so defidently check those fuses

Shifting with the key on does not do anything. Also tried pushing the start button 5 times, but no luck with either of them.

Just checked the front fuse box. Nothing is blown. Will have to open the rear electrical box tonight and see what's going on.

Check that rear box asap and if your getting no beeps and no fuses blown im gonna say the beeper is bad, that dosnt solve the key problem however.

Check that rear box asap and if your getting no beeps and no fuses blown im gonna say the beeper is bad, that dosnt solve the key problem however.

Yeah it's weird because this is the first time I've hooked a battery up to it since last fall. And I had no problems with it then. Hoping for the best though.

Actually after some more thinking you might be right Nick. Last fall when I first got it the shifter was very picky of which position it would allow the engines to start in. If the beeper is dead it could possibly be trying to give me 4 beeps saying it's not in neutral.

Go over to radio shack and puck up a new beeper of if you have a siren from a car alarm laying around you can put it in temporary to hear the beeps

This project is not looking good at all guys. The main 5amp mpem supply fuse was blown. As soon as I put in a replacement it popped again.

This project is not looking good at all guys. The main 5amp mpem supply fuse was blown. As soon as I put in a replacement it popped again.

That's not good, but don't lose any sleep over it when you get a chance get with me and I'll walk you through some tests to isolate a few things and see if it's the module or a problem in the harness.

The only way that happens is a battery or booster hooked up backwards or power backfeeding into one of the grounds from the harness if the transient diode has been taken out in the module I can fix it for you so long as that's the only thing wrong with it some of the EPROM tech in there is pretty sensitive on that circuit and may or may not have survived but I can bench test all of those functions after the diode is replaced.

If it wasn't user error that caused it initially (or Murphy showed up) and something bridged the battery connections when your back was turned it's really important to do whatever is necessary to find the short and fix it before the module is repaired and reinstalled.

Thanks bob. I'll get in touch sometime this weekend when I have time. Not sure what could have possibly caused it. This was the first time I installed the battery since last fall, and it worked fine then.

Wow, dodged a bullet tonight. Thanks to Waterluvr again for help diagnosing my problem. Of course the cause was the simplest thing, I put the terminals on the wrong battery posts ("User error" :rolleyes:). Put in a new fuse and re-installed the battery terminals correctly, and now I am getting my two beeps! Sadly I'm getting 4 when trying to start it, so I guess I will have to drop $80 on a new neutral switch.

Got the engines to turn over once again!! Pulled the neutral switch, and it was completely dead. Not functional whatsoever. Cut it off and spliced the wires together, and the engines turned. Also got the seats painted with the SEM paint, and finished up the hood with the Krylon plastic paint.

50 shades of yellow lol

That SEM paint is worth the coin, for seats that still have a serviceable covering what a great way to get them cleaned up and presentable again.

Nice work Matt that boat is really going to stand tall when it's done, looks great!

Thanks Bob! I agree, spending more on the SEM was the way to go. It looks and feels just like new vinyl (except it doesn't match).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back