RESTO 97 Speedster cold, long winter resto project

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you replaced the wear ring? That would be first on the list if you haven't. If that is close to out of spec then I would begin there. If you do decide to go the carb route, OSDparts makes an HD replacement that has been amazing for the stuff I've put them in.

Haven't replaced that yet. It looked good when I checked it out, but I'll have to get in there with a feeler gauge and see where it's at.

Also forgot to ask, does anyone know what size drill bit I should use for the rivets? Don't wanna make the holes bigger if I don't have too.

If the heads are off. Just use a 3/16" drift punch and drive them in. Then test fit each new rivet. I've never had to run a drill thru the holes. I've replace over a hundreds on seadoo rub rail.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Thanks for that. In the bilge though, would I be able to punch through the rivets? Or is there something beneath them that I would hit?

It should be double layer, but you'll have to look at it. I've done it on X4 hulls when fixing broken loose water box brackets. And that hill it's thinner I'd assume. The drill will catch and probably spin the rivet.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

You need to put a washer under the head of the rivet too.

127.jpg

Second knock off Tiny Tach and an SBT driveline rebuild kit are en route. Gonna be hard wiring the tachs right below the other gauges. I'll have pictures sometime this week.I also got a neoprene seal with it. Any reason seadoo used a neoprene seal on the single pump models but not the twin engine ones?

So, here's the footage I promised you guys a while back. It just took me some time to edit.

The first video is basically my entire summer, but the boat is in there for most of it:
[video=youtube;qq8O8T1ytAc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq8O8T1ytAc[/video]

The second video was just a quick one I put together, which focuses on just the boat and most of the work I've done to it:
[video=youtube;t5RopzIGWGY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5RopzIGWGY[/video]

Also, I would like to let you guys know that I have some "upgrades" I will be installing later this week.

Thanks Bob! Just had my wisdom teeth pulled the other day, so I've been taking it easy lately. Today I got the drive shaft out, and plan on putting all the new parts in tomorrow. Then hopefully Wednesday I can wire up my new "upgrades" and call it done for the rest of the summer :willy_nilly:

FOR ANYONE STRUGGLING TO GET THE O-RING OUT I used the 2x4 method as demonstrated in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3nme0CaGvs&index=1&list=FLoii0Tw5bEZWt6-MkDmfhxg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic videos. You have done a great job on the boat, but more importantly a great job enjoying it.

I "downgraded" to the bearing carrier set up long ago and have not looked back. I squirt grease on it every 15-20 hours and it is a little messier, but no more air leaks. Also it makes the shaft much easier to remove if you ever need to. (I have busted the rubber boot on the PTO too many times with too much grease. You forget it doesn't really have a place to go)

Something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/291387127951?lpid=82&chn=ps

and you have to fill the groove in the shaft to get it in without busting the seal. Not trivial, but it was worth it to me. YMMV :)

(SORRY! I saw someone earlier had suggested the seal carrier already and you had seen it. Oh well)

Last edited by a moderator:
Driveshaft is back in. Just need to hook the pump up and I'll be done with that. Hopefully I can get the boat out thursday for a quick test run.

Finished the "upgrade" :coolgleam:

Took the mirrors out then traced them on a piece of plywood. Glassed the plywood over with epoxy then painted them with the yellow plastic paint to match the hood. Used some 3m VHB tape to attach the plywood then that click together type velcro for the gauges.

Interesting choice.
I actually use my mirrors quite a bit, so not sure what to think about this. Hope it works out for you.

I hope it works out too. My dad also likes the mirrors. I never find myself using them. When I'm driving I would rather look over my shoulder to see if anything is there rather than rely on a mirror. And when towing people I'm usually standing on one knee so I can turn and look quickly if I need to. When I'm up that high it's hard to look down at the small mirrors.

I hope it works out too. My dad also likes the mirrors. I never find myself using them. When I'm driving I would rather look over my shoulder to see if anything is there rather than rely on a mirror. And when towing people I'm usually standing on one knee so I can turn and look quickly if I need to. When I'm up that high it's hard to look down at the small mirrors.

You don't have a spotter when you are towing? :facepalm::coolgleam:

Not here to give you a hard time. Do what works for you. It is a creative solution. Not the one I would have chosen, but it isn't MY boat. :)

You don't have a spotter when you are towing? :facepalm::coolgleam:

Not here to give you a hard time. Do what works for you. It is a creative solution. Not the one I would have chosen, but it isn't MY boat. :)

NO. haha I ALWAYS have a spotter. It's required here in NH. even if it wasn't I would still have a spotter. I just like looking back to see where the person I'm towing is. Like when tubing, if someone is way outside the wake, I wouldn't want to whip the boat the other way and create a ton of slack in the line because it's not good for the boat or tube when that line tightens up.

NO. haha I ALWAYS have a spotter. It's required here in NH. even if it wasn't I would still have a spotter. I just like looking back to see where the person I'm towing is. Like when tubing, if someone is way outside the wake, I wouldn't want to whip the boat the other way and create a ton of slack in the line because it's not good for the boat or tube when that line tightens up.

Agreed. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back