97 seadoo challenger 1800 - Looking to buy advice please

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

winston12

Hey guy Im looking at a 97 seadoo challenger 1800 boat and am wondering if its a good price or if i should keep looking.Hes asking 7000 for the boat heres what was done to it.

In july the following was done-

New wear rings
Both top ends were bored and fitted with pistons raves were shaved gasket kits the whole 9
the interior was overhauled with all new seat covers
Hydro turf
Radio

The exterior of the boat is in really nice shape the stickers were removed and the whole thing was buffed out.

To me everything on this boat has been gone through so maybe its worth it?

I bought a 98 Challenger 1800 in the fall of 2013 for $4250 in SE Michigan. My boat had great compression, good interior, but it needed a few things. I put wear rings and new carbon seals, boots and fixed one of the impellers. Cleaned the carbs and added Hydro Turf and have been running it for the past two years. I didn't wet test my boat because it was October and already pretty cold, but I factored that into the price. Now on the boat you are looking for that price I would give it a wet test. Also did they just do the top end of the motors or did they do the bottom end too? Check the compression, but with a new top end it should be very good. Check and see if they had the carbs gone through. Also check the exhaust pipes for water leaks. I will say that for my area of Michigan that seems a bit on the high side even for spring.

At $7K that entire boat better look like it just rolled off the assembly line. The engines and bilge should be clean enough to eat off of. That price is way high. I'd assume they are trying to recoup ever penny spent on it as well as labor from the shop that did it.

Just for instance: (I know it's not quite as big)

Here's an 05 for $800 more or best offer. And it's 4 stroke. You could have it shipped for probably $800.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-Sea-Do...522f186&item=251878633862&pt=Power_Motorboats

7 grand is on the high end, but,,, if it is very clean and all is good, it is worth it. However, if there is ANYTHING wrong with it or goes wrong in a short time frame, it would be over-priced.

You MUST ride and drive it for at least 30 minutes as this is the ONLY way to know what you are buying. See if they will give you some kind of warranty if they insist you pay top dollar, it rides and operates as it should, and you want it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I purchased my 96 Challenger last July for $3200 and it was in great condition. For $7k I was finding 2004-07 models. One thing to keep in mind, by now most of these boats should be going through similar repairs or replacement. Especially since their almost 20 years old. Yet, most seem to hover around the 4500-6000 mark when sold. Good luck and hopefully this provides some insight!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back