RESTO 97 gtx

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I rebuilt my carbs this morning both are popping off at 29. low at 1 turn out, high at zero there's a lot of conflicting info on pop off out there does this sound right to you guys. Getting ready to start on putting everything back on the engine, should I reuse my intake gasket and use copper rtv on the mag housing or order some new ones.

I am not an expert but going through this myself and everything I read said to try and target the 32 range and keep them +/- 1-2psi within each other. I am finding conflicting info on the high and low speed settings on various web pages though :(. What source are you referencing for the high and low settings?

At 29 you are very close you can bend the arm slightly down and get to 32. (do not bend the arm down more than 1mm past level with the carb body)

I just rebuilt mine and ended up at 32psi but my guage might add another 1-2 psi so maybe 34 but it should be perfectly fine from everything I read & its way better than what they were before the rebuild lol!

I believe the 97 specs have the PTO HS open 1/2 turn. I toasted a PTO cylinder towing tubes with both HS closed. Now all my skis run PTO open 1/2 turn. 97 vs 96 specs....

My source is the manual for the 97 gtx my only problem is the chart says 33 + or - 10 psi
What about reusing the o-rings image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg

I found a oem cover on eBay and got my oil pump shaft and lines for my local dealer image.jpgimage.jpg
I am still waiting on my blue locktite stick to show up maybe today!

After all the damage I found on this ski I decided to buy a 96 gtx in great shape (expect the bad motor) and to put my money into something in a little better condition and it's always been used in fresh water 300 investment. Which exhaust would you guys use. the white on off the 97 or the purple off the 96 image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
I also recieved my skat track impeller, oem wear ring. Inventionary intake grate I'll upload more pics tomorrow after motor and pump get installed

How long is that line you have hooked to the pulse? The oem line is formed, others can kink

95 XP800!!!
Keep the 2 strokes alive!

I still have the old one should I use it. I put the pulse line on when the motor was on the bench and figured I would trim later. I wasn't able to install carbs today no gaskets

I would use the old one. They usually are fine. Just make sure it is clean and in good shape. I don't think there is any difference between the 96 and 97 pipe. Make sure the welch plugs look good. You don't want one leaking. Several threads on repairing them. You may just replace them while the pipe is out. The freshwater pipe has a better chance of being ok without replacement.

I put a few hours in on the ski this morning. I cranked it up for about five seconds, and she sounded good.
I'm done with the inside of the hull except the breather box, I'm keeping it off for the final adjustments on the carbs. On that note in the manual it says high speed is zero, but soccer dad had mentioned pto side high at one half? Not sure what I should do with that no one else commented on that point. I'll upload pics from under the hood in a little while.

Now to start on the outside of the hull. I pulled all the decals off this morning and there a lot of wet sanding ahead for me. I recieved my quart of gel oat for the bottom half of the hull, I will probally pull the pump and sponsons and hit the entire bottom. Racerxxx do you make sponsons for a gtx? Mine are beat up quite a bit. If I decide to pull the bumper off all the way around the ski is there a source for new.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Don't run it without the air cleaner installed. It will cause it to run lean and can damage the new engine.

I need some help on this one I got home today and installed the breather box and the battery after a day of trickle charging, and then I hit the start button and just a click from the front gray box. After reading up on it, I checked voltage coming out of the memp on the yellow wire with the red strip and no voltage at all when and after pressing the start button. I jumped the the starter wire with a screwdriver and the engine turns over great. I also check for spark and the was none, also I should mention two red lights come on on the gauges when you depress the start button. I was going to take the memp out of the 97 and try it in the 96 but the gray boxes are set up different. I guess I could take the memp out of the 96 xp but I kinda don't want to that thing is my baby. Ideas??

So the solenoid does not click? They are notorious for going bad. But it also could just be a bad ground. I would not mess with the MPEM since it just worked and you did not do anything to fry it. I would disconnect the battery cables when I charge it though. And of course, no boost boxes or running car jumps. If it is just the solenoid, you can put on the dess (does your beeper work?) hear the two beeps, then use your screwdriver to jump the solenoid. It should crank and start. That should tell you a lot. It is probably just a bad ground in the rear box. Clean everything.

Last night I decided to take the whole gray box out and switch it out with the other gtx. I pulled it out the parts hull and started switching one plug at a time inside the good hull, all of the plugs were not the same so I just connected all the plugs back to the original gray box. I figured I would just try to start one more time. It cranked right up so I put it on the hose and let it run about five minutes twice after adjusting the idle. I figured it was just a bad connection in one of the plugs

Sucks you already peeled the decals. They're easy to buff up with the decals on. This one was so chalky you could write in the white with your finger.
2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

That gtx is awesome. the standards are extremely high on the resto projects. You guys really give me something to shoot for.

For some reason I tend to learn the hard way. Just to make me feel better there were dings in the decals, and after seeing how good the 96 xp turned out I'm want to make this one look just as good so the wife feels better about the thousands I've been spending. (This one is supposed to be the wife's ski)

Yep I buffed around the decals. The white can be a biotch thiugh

95 XP800!!!
Keep the 2 strokes alive!

Yeah, the GTX model has come really far.

Great job on the RESTO, looking forward to seeing it when it's officially done.

Nope. Pipe comes off. It's been a while, I seem to remember having to try and put the lower exhaust cone in at the same time as the engine.

That gtx is awesome. the standards are extremely high on the resto projects. You guys really give me something to shoot for.

For some reason I tend to learn the hard way. Just to make me feel better there were dings in the decals, and after seeing how good the 96 xp turned out I'm want to make this one look just as good so the wife feels better about the thousands I've been spending. (This one is supposed to be the wife's ski)

She will love this ski. The ride is amazing and it still has nice power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back