97 gtx was running fine then eventually started bogging/surging at wide open throttle

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

dpmca13

What’s up guys, I’m a auto mechanic new to jet skis and having a few problems with my new skis..made a separate post for my fiancé’s one but mine is even weirder to me...it was running good we had two people on it running pretty fast then eventually I would hit wide open throttle and it would just bog and barely accelerate at all, and I had to eventually half throttle it back and basically idle back to the boat ramp...I don’t know at all what could cause this, it was smoking from the exhaust also, if anyone had this problem/knows what it could be please let me know like I said before I’m a auto mechanic so I can fix em myself just don’t really know where to start with diagnosing this

So the rpms were high but it would not plain off? This suddenly happening usually means you ingested something in your grate. Shutting off the engine and shaking the PWC aggressively side to side will usually clear it. Or it could be your wear ring came apart. Anyways inspect inside the intake grate, impellor and wear ring. Also, check the clearance between the impellor and wear ring to make sure it is within specs.

Good place to start. It only takes the smallest twig folded over one blade of the impeller to have the whole machine fall on it's face. However, you say it bogs down but still reved to 8000?

There are lots of possible bases to cover, but checking the basics first is the way to go. I have to stop and shake out my impeller/pump a couple times every time I ride.

Good place to start. It only takes the smallest twig folded over one blade of the impeller to have the whole machine fall on it's face. However, you say it bogs down but still reved to 8000?

Yes it didn’t rlly bog out it surged down to 6 or so ...after thinkin about it I possibly could have sucked something up I’m gonna go check tomorrow see if something is still in there after driving it on the trailer to the storage

Yes it didn’t rlly bog out it surged down to 6 or so ...after thinkin about it I possibly could have sucked something up I’m gonna go check tomorrow see if something is still in there after driving it on the trailer to the storage

Good. If you get the feel for you machine you can pick up on things in the pump. Some times it's very subtle like a couple hundred rpm rise with a mile or two slower on the top end, or it it can cause the pump to vibrate so much you'd think something just blew up.

Check the pump first then we can start thinking about the standard compression check, clean carbs, fuel system, rave valve checks.

Good. If you get the feel for you machine you can pick up on things in the pump. Some times it's very subtle like a couple hundred rpm rise with a mile or two slower on the top end, or it it can cause the pump to vibrate so much you'd think something just blew up.

Check the pump first then we can start thinking about the standard compression check, clean carbs, fuel system, rave valve checks.

But I’m still kinda worried about how it was smoking..would it do this just because something was sucked up?

Smoking how bad? Like battle field smoke bomb or just a vapor from the exhaust. Remener the exhaust has water injected into it so slmost any machine will have a smoke like vapor come out mixed with water vapor. It's always there, most evident at high rpms with low speed since a bunch of exhaust has a chance to hang in the air.

Smoking how bad? Like battle field smoke bomb or just a vapor from the exhaust. Remener the exhaust has water injected into it so slmost any machine will have a smoke like vapor come out mixed with water vapor.

I didn’t notice if it was smoking that bad before but it seemed like just oil burning smoke kind of if I can relate it to cars but in your sense I would just say vapor from exhaust not battle field lol

If it’s actually bogging or surging at wot sounds like it’s starving for fuel.

If the rpm is high but not moving forward like a clutch slipping then it’s pump related.

If it’s actually bogging or surging at wot sounds like it’s starving for fuel.

If the rpm is high but not moving forward like a clutch slipping then it’s pump related.

I’d say it was high rpm not moving forward but when it got higher than a certain point of rpm it would bog up and down

Can you tell me how to go about checking the pump..like I said I’m new to pwc

You need to be able to look inside the intake, for the pump, on the bottom of the machine.

If it is on a trailer that lets you see this area then just crawl underneath with a flashlight and look up inside. If anything is caught, twig, stick, rope around the drive shaft or impeller then it needs to be removed.

Now, as was said, if it is surging or going to full power for a second then loosing power and picking back up again then this is not pump related and you need to look into the fuel system. I would strongly suggest not running the machine if this is the case since fuel starvation can damage the motor pretty fast.

It sounds like you may have two things going on. You won't over rev a motor unless the impeller has an issue. You won't have surging unless you have a fuel issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back