97 GTX sluggish on take off - cavitating

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

GTX rider

Thanks to everyone that reads and responds to the questions put out on this forum.

Okay so here's the problem. At the end of last season my ski wouldn't hardly get up out of the water and was cavitating bad. So I checked the clearances between the wear ring and the prop and it was about .020". I replaced the wear ring and reduced the clearance to about .014".

Took the ski out to the lake yesterday to try it out and it was better but still not right. We used to be able to ride 2-3 on it and with 3 it wouldn't hardly move more than about 10mph. With two it was slow onj take off but once it planed out it was fine. With one, my top speed was 58. Last year it would hit 59-61mph.

Any ideas on what else it could be? Is the clearance still too much? My prop has some nick on it, could that be it?

Can you refinish a prop? :confused:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The motor runs fine, revs up, carbs good, just will not take off with 2-3 people on it like it used too, and also sluggish even with one till you get going.

Air can enter water intake if the carbone ring has warped. Check your manual for another suggestion. Its your best friend.

What is the compression test show, clean the water/fuel filter, mark the oil tank to be sure it is drinking and run 40-1 premix until you know the oil system is drinking - then just gas and go.

Engine is was installed new last year, compression is good. The engine is not the issue, its in the propulsion area. I no longer use the injectors as that was what burned up my last motor. I mix my fuel.

thanks for the input

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back