97 gtx runs good except for white smoke

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

MLars

This is the second time this has happened. Both times it was after I filled up with fuel when I took the jetski out of the water. I let the jetski idle for about five minutes, and gave it some gas to get back to my dock. I pulled the engine cover off and white smoke puffed out. I was only running it for like 10 minutes! It smelled like one of the rubber hoses burning. I felt the exhaust hose and it was too hot to touch for more than a second! My mechanic checked it out last week and said the regulator valve was fine and the engine was cooling itself like it should be. Water is also coming out the pee hole strong. Anyone have any idea what the problem could be now? I really appreciate all the help everyone has given me so far. The first time it happened I meticulously checked after each ride the exhaust hose and smoke in the engine compartment, and there was none until I filled it up.

If you're melting hoses then water isn't going everywhere it should. Check all your lines for debris, pull and blow air through them.

I let it rest for like half an hour then went back out on it for like 10 minutes. When I got back to my dock I could smell the rubber before I even opened the engine compartment. When I opened it white smoke was once again pouring out.... Don't have a clue what to do about this, especially since I'm on vacation :(

Well, IMO, if it's getting that hot, there's a problem somewhere. And if you overheat it too much, you're taking a chance of melting it down.

That's the problem though, it overheats only sometimes so I'm not sure ill be able to get it to smoke on the trailer.

Haha no, but I replaced the exhaust pipe before because it overheated and shrunk together. Not sure if its doing the same thing, but the old one never made smoke or had an odor. Maybe a faulty water regulator valve? I have an extra bellow with me, so maybe I will pop that in and see what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could a bad water reg. valve bellow sometimes work properly and sometimes not work at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back