97 GTS loosing spark

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

floydl

Hi Everyone im new to your forum but im hoping someone can help me diagnose my 97 gts.. It starts runs for some time 2-10 minutes then looses spark. Let it cool down and spark comes back and all runs good until next time. spark seems to be like a switch on or off. When running it runs great. So here is what ive done, removed all grounds cleaned and added extra grounds to coil plate, checked connectors and wiring for breaks, trimmed back plugwires, removed flywheel and inspected under it. Things ive noticed is when running the oil light blinks with engine rpm, at idle its off as i rev it up it starts flickering and the higher you go the more it flashes never comes on steady like if you were low on oil.(noticed it only because it was dark last night when i put it back together) Is it common for a mpem to go bad? I first thought maybe the coil but not sure then why the oil light would flicker. Any input would help greatly. FloydL

I would say it's either the COIL-CDI or the stator, the test will need to be done when it stops sparking, if there is 30+35 AC voltage going into the COLI-CDI but no spark then it is probably the COIL-CDI that is bad.

Remove the spark plug boots, and clip 1/4in off the wires. Screw the boys back on about 5-7 turns. Also make sure that your running new plugs.

Thank you, Coil is on order. I did test and i do get 30vac at coil wire when its working and when its not firing. The strange thing is when i test the coil from the method i read online to test wires to ground and so on it says its ok. I read that this coil has the cdi built in and testing ist accurate so i just ordered one.. When testing the unit i did also notice something that to me seems odd in my charging. When testing the red+ bat. wire at rectifier i get battery volts 12.6 when i tested the mag wires(yellow and yellow/stripe i also had 12.6 volt on both. Seems to me it would be back feeding the charging coil and draining the battery. I guess there could be a diode at the mag area but seems to me it should be at the rectifier. Do you think this is normal or do i also have a bad rectifier? Any thoughts would be helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back