97 GTI Randomly Shuts Off

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Demples

Hey Guys,

I recently purchased this 1997 Seadoo GTI, It runs great, has 150 compression in each cylinder, just has one issue driving me nutz.

It will start and run fine, but randomly turns off. Turns off while idling, turns off while half speed, turns off WOT. IT acts like the key is pulled out, it doesnt sputter off, just flat out turns off.

Then i can remove the key, place the key back on, it will usually start right back up. Sometimes I have to take the key off and back on 3 or 4 times to get it to start. When I have to take the key off and back on 3 or 4 times, it wont even turn over during that process, however the gauges do react and i usually get the beeps.

Im not yet a pro at this, but my first thought was it may be the key itself, but im thinking im just naive. It is more than likely something a bit more complicated.

Any Ideas would be much appreciated.

Thank You All,
Demples

Clean the inside and post with a plastic kitchen scrubber, it only takes a little rusty something to get stuck in there and shake around to make it seem like the key was pulled like when I fall asleep fishing and slide into the water.

I will give that a try and post back my results. However, i do not remember seeing anything rusty around the post or inside the key. But hopefully it makes a difference.

yup... clean the post and the inside of the lanyard. should be fine. BUT... some times the posts do go bad.

Ok cleaning it did not help. So i changed the DESS post, am going to take to the lake and see if it makes a difference i sure hope it helps!

I will let you guys know if successful!

I had similar issues and had the mechanics clean all my grounds each year. I have not had a problem since I started that cleaning procedure about 3years ago. Not sure this is your issue, but I reply as an FYI...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back