97 GTI Dying Under Throttle

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey y’all! New PWC owner, downgraded from a cabin cruiser. I was out the other day and took a rip with my son. After about 8 mins of ride time I was turning to head back to our swimming area and it started to sputter and wanting to die. I also noticed by Speedo bouncing around from 0-70mph. Let off on throttle let her collect herself and carried on. 2 more mins of drive time at 3/4 throttle started sputtering again. Let off and then kept going. Rounded the bend and blah died. Fired back up again gave it some gas blah died again. Fires back up with some coaxing this time and made it to our swimming area. Called hubs he came out took it for a rip and same thing after 5-6 mins. Changed the rectifier and charged the battery as per a suggestion from a “mechanic”. Cleaned the carb, not much really came out. Put it to the hose to check voltage, yup good there so splashed it back in the water, went to get up and go and BLAH died! I’m new at this 2 stroke business (gimme a 350 merc any day) and can’t really afford a load of shop time. Can anyone direct me to where I should be looking? What I should be looking for? Or do I now have a bright yellow lawn ornament?

Welcome to the forum!

I'd start with a compression test. Remove spark plugs, ground wires on tabs by battery box or on the front of the mag housing (orange plastic piece), forget where it is on your ski. Thread comp tester into spark plug hole. Hold throttle wide open and crank for about 5 seconds. You're looking for the 140-150psi range. Post results.

Welcome to the forum!

I'd start with a compression test. Remove spark plugs, ground wires on tabs by battery box or on the front of the mag housing (orange plastic piece), forget where it is on your ski. Thread comp tester into spark plug hole. Hold throttle wide open and crank for about 5 seconds. You're looking for the 140-150psi range. Post results.

148 psi on both cylinders. Plugs are good, nice reactive spark from them. I will definitely start looking into Mag housing once this sudden downpour that decided to land on my house stops lol

No need to dig into the mag housing...yet. Have you guys rebuilt the fuel system? New hoses etc....

Running on the trailer will tell you nothing other than it runs. You have to get a load on it.

Little Britain, nice... Right close to scugog and the trent.

Compression is good, so start looking at the fuel system. If it's only happening at higher throttle you probably have an air leak or a restriction somewhere that isn't letting the carbs get gas quick enough.

If you don't replace the tempo lines you'll keep getting bits of the hose degrading and plugging your carbs and could cook your motor. Might as well bite the bullet and replace them.

You say you cleaned the carb... how extensively did you clean? break them down and clear all jets and passages? Did you look at the tiny fuel filters they have in them? Did you test pop off and pressure test the carbs?

Pressure test the fuel system through the vent house and see if it holds pressure to test for air leaks. Manual for mine says 5 psi for 5 minutes.

Little Britain, nice... Right close to scugog and the trent.

Compression is good, so start looking at the fuel system. If it's only happening at higher throttle you probably have an air leak or a restriction somewhere that isn't letting the carbs get gas quick enough.

If you don't replace the tempo lines you'll keep getting bits of the hose degrading and plugging your carbs and could cook your motor. Might as well bite the bullet and replace them.

You say you cleaned the carb... how extensively did you clean? break them down and clear all jets and passages? Did you look at the tiny fuel filters they have in them? Did you test pop off and pressure test the carbs?

Pressure test the fuel system through the vent house and see if it holds pressure to test for air leaks. Manual for mine says 5 psi for 5 minutes.
Right on Scugog! Lol ok that was A LOT of information that I have no idea what do with it. Yes the carb was completely torn down and cleaned all jets and passages. Huzbeast picking up fuel lines today. How do you test pop off and pressure test carb? Where is the vent house? This blonde needs help lol

Miki's thread is complete info you need RE the carbs... pay attention to those three bypass pinholes.

As for the fuel system, I'm not familiar with your models of ski's but on mine there's a vent hose on the top of the fuel baffle (top of the fuel tank) that goes to the two vents on the ski. I disconnect the hose where it tee's off to the vents and pressurize the fuel system that way.

Don’t forget to replace the fuel selector with oem. You can’t clean it u have to replace it.

Ok!! Have new fuels lines and a carb rebuild kit! Can probably never show my face in HB cycle ever again but hey, I got my parts! (And for the record I wasn’t mean or belligerent I was just an idiot). Starting the reconstruction tonight!!!

Ok!! Have new fuels lines and a carb rebuild kit! Can probably never show my face in HB cycle ever again but hey, I got my parts! (And for the record I wasn’t mean or belligerent I was just an idiot). Starting the reconstruction tonight!!!
Is it a genuine mikuni rebuild kit?

Ok update after EVERYTHING fuel related was changed, cleaned (tank), new fuel everything.. I am STILL having the same problem. Runs great for 5 ish mins then speedo went bonkers and I died. Fired back up again another 2 mins of drive time and bloody complete die at 3/4 throttle but no squirrly speedo the second time. I just had a new DESS lanyard programmer about a week before this had started happening. I have switched to the old lanyard but it keeps happening. Am I looking at the wrong spot? Do I have a DESS problem?!? After it dies it is nearly impossible to get back going. Machine needs to rest for a bit before it will get back up and go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back