97 gsx low voltage, bogs down at half throttle

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

tony84

Hello all, new to the forum here. i purchased a 97 gsx about a year ago.
At the time of the purchase the previous owner stated he just installed a new battery. I took the ski out for the first time for a couple of hours. It ran fine. However the gauge kept flashing low voltage. Ran the ski several more times
and all was well but this annoyance. On the last trip the ski started bogging
down at half throttle. I parked the ski for the year. This year i tried to crank it but the battery was dead and wouldn't hold a charge. I installed a new battery, cranked it right up and i ran it for a few minutes (low voltage was still flashing). 2 weeks later i tried to crank it and i get the 2 beeps when i install the laynard followed by a long beep when i try to crank it. Sorry for the book here but i wanted to give the whole story. problems = low voltage, not cranking, boggs down at half throttle. compression test was 150 on both cylinders.

Rectifier

Check the volts at the battery! Should be a. Little over 13v with a full charge! Start the ski, rev the motor to about 5500k and check again! If it gets around 15v the the rectifier is bad! I got the same issue on the same ski! I haven't fixed yet! Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
ski will not start

i would if it would start. brand new battery and it started when i installed the battery. 1 month later all i get is 2 short beeps when i install the lanyard
then followed by a long beep.

got her on the juice

charging her now. Any idea why a brand new battery would be fully discharged in only 30 days?

Not all batteries are created equal! Mine doesn't last a couple of weeks before it's dead! I disconnect the ground wire when not in use! My rectifier is bad! I can run it all weekend, so I'll wait til winter to fix! The life of a PWC!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back