97 challenger dash cover oxidized!! Any?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

thezamfamily

wondering if anyone has had any luck with any type of cleaner too remove some of the oxidation. I know it wont look like new unless its painted. Hoping some elbow grease and some magic cleaner will do some good!! Thanks for any input!!

compartment lid?, i removed mine from boat, if teal, rustoleum "jade", perfect match..but , primered it, then reshot it....after see'n your other thread/post w/ pic of boat...definetly get "jade" color in rustoleum...

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks

how hard is it to remove the compartment lid? i just put a hawkeye in the dash. any wiring in the way? hopefully just a few screws. I took the diamond shaped plastic seadoo thing off the cover already. LMK thanks Mike

Armour All

Armour All will do an amazing job on faded plastic HOWEVER you will not be able to paint it, after you Armour All it, due to the silicone which will not come off.

I have been Armour All-ing my entire boat for 13 years, it looks like new. It isnt permanent, but it only takes 5 minutes.

If you go the "armor all" there are cleaners painters use to remove the silicone residue to paint the plastic if you want. I am a certified re-finisher for PPG. To restore some really bad Gel-coat finishes I just hit the surface with a fine compound and a power buffer to remove the top surface if it is in really bad shape. You can tell if your hand turns white and chalky when you touch it. Than apply a good wax to protect the newly removed gel coat surface. If it has been buffed out before I would recommend you use a restorer/re finisher for Gel coat, available at West Marine, for example. The power buffer method is for a really bad oxidized surface. Any chemical you use like Armour is just a band aid over the real problem.

Karl

Karl, wish you lived nearby, I could really use a good lesson on gelcoat refinishing/polishing and fiberglass repair... Any websites, articles, or books you recommend to learning how to do this? I usually manage to botch up any bodywork/fiberglass/paint projects I attempt.

I have been refinishing Automotive and Water craft for 30 years... I believe that West Marine has some information as a hand out to give you step by step guide to gel coat/ refinish. If I come across some hand out information I'll let you know...

Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back