96 XP Water Regulator Valve

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

the_hog

Whats the pro and cons of removing it? Previous owner of my 96 I just bought removed it and I was curious as to why and the pro and cons of it. Also what do I look for to make sure the removal was done correctly?

Probably the reason no one has answered this is because, like me most of us don't know why it was removed. Unless you are using the ski for racing and have replaced the exhaust system with a factory pipe the is no reason to remove the water regulator valve. If it were me I would re-install the water regulator valve, removing it will have an adverse effect on performance and also cause the exhaust system to overheat. If you don't have the old one Nick, [MENTION=41828]Minnetonka4me[/MENTION] can fix you up with a good used one. [MENTION=51824]Matt Braley[/MENTION] probably has some insight about removing the water control valve.

Lou

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, Lou is dead on. Does this ski have any other mods? is it hard jetted with a line to the top of the water box and an aftermarket pipe?

the main reason people do it is because it is a simpler system, and the waterbox valve doesn't really change performance that much. if you hard jet the waterbox and get it setup correctly, you don't have to worry about the little screw and nut falling off the strap that holds the diaphragm on, or holes in the diaphragm, or the valve wearing out and not working right, and it goes on and on.

The hard jetting instructions are in the Racing manual in 95-97. PDF versions are readily available.

Strizzo did a good job on the cons of the stock water regulators. The cons of the hard jetted system is that even after you find the correct jet sizes for your setup you run the risk of clogging them. You will want to add a filter so the little debris bits don't clog the flow and over heat the exhaust hoses.

Thanks, downloaded the race manual and going to check and make sure the removal was done properly and is jetting correct before I make any decisions on keeping it or going back to stock. Nick, if this wasnt done right could it have something to do with my top end issues?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back