RESTO 96 xp stock restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered the complete set from 5 different places. Had to piece the set together. They were not cheap. However pwcgraphics.com has a replica set for I think $200. That is the site that is reproducing these 96 graphics.

We received some vinyl color samples today. We found one that is close in color but the grain is off. I have a few more coming though. I will post what one we find is the closest.

Got a few things done on this tonight.

First cleaned the ebox. It was filthy but forgot to take a before pic. Here it is after it was degreased and wiped

174.jpg

I also noticed the inside of the hulls fiberglass was chalky looking so I wiped it down but as soon as it dried the hazy chalky film was still there.

So I took a scotchbrite pad and some 3m superduty compound (which we just tried recently) and scrubbed the area.

175.jpg

176.jpg

177.jpg

178.jpg

We still need to work on it a little more but the hazing is gone.

We also got a few samples of yellow vinyl in, the grain is not right and the colors are off too. I have a few more samples that are on the way though.

179.jpg

180.jpg

We also replaced the broken mirror. There was silicone over the cracked mirror
181.jpg

182.jpg

Also just a side note to anyone that needs to replace a mirror. It is very easy and the hood does not need to come off or be split. All you have to do is take off the access cover under the hood. Then reach your arm up into the mirror area. There is a wing nut. Unscrew that and the wing nut and a spring will come off. Then just pull the mirror out. Very simple.

Last edited by a moderator:
So today we went back at it. I did the final buff with swirl remover. After that I started to clean all of the trim. I used acetone, I know racerxxx used laquer thinner and it cleaned it up nice. I did not have any but had strip kleen acetone. We tried that and it worked great.

185.jpg

186.jpg

187.jpg

188.jpg

189.jpg

We also are replacing the thumb throttle. Can anyone guess what he used as a quick fix?

194.jpg

195.jpg

196.jpg

We are also replacing the grips. I would say they are toast

197.jpg

That is amazing cleaning. Did you buffed the exhaust pipe too? They are so white! I was cleaning the pipe on my 97spx, but the yellowish spots are still there. What is your trick? Can't wait to try.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Haha I think you nailed it.

JSG I like the clean up on the inside of the hull. I've seen that many times and now I will think "you can do something about that" when I see it. I also like the acetone rub rail trick. I've only been using it for prep.

Yeah, the haze on the inside, I just coat the hull with Seadoo lube and BAM........instant glossy shine.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

You nailed it. It was a wall anchor lol. I was going to mix up some fiber glass resin and coat the inside. That would make it look brand new but I didn't want to get it on anything. Tonight the motor will be aligned. Mats will be going on. Hood will be coming off and be getting the...soft scrub....meguiars.....wipe new... treatment. Plus some other stuff.

You nailed it. It was a wall anchor lol. I was going to mix up some fiber glass resin and coat the inside. That would make it look brand new but I didn't want to get it on anything. Tonight the motor will be aligned. Mats will be going on. Hood will be coming off and be getting the...soft scrub....meguiars.....wipe new... treatment. Plus some other stuff.

Wow. New fibreglass layer for the inside? So the whole ski will be factory brand new. I have seen this on furniture restorations. But not a jet ski.

202.jpg

Tonight we cleaned the hood.

We used soft scrub with bleach, we scrubbed the hood with a red scotchbrite pad. We then rinsed the hood. I towel dried the hood and then took the air hose and blew out all the water from all the grooves. We let it dry and then used the wipe new.

We already cleaned it once before but it still had faded areas and alot of rubbing compound from buffing on it

203.jpg

Remember it started out like this
179.jpg

And this

146.jpg

204.jpg

205.jpg

206.jpg

We also used it on some of the other trim pieces
207.jpg

208.jpg

A little naptha action on the handlebar pad
209.jpg

210.jpg

211.jpg

still not done but it is coming along......

the motor was aligned

212.jpg

213.jpg

And put the mats on

214.jpg

215.jpg

Is Naphtha the camp oil? The cleaning result is great. Any steps after that or that is it.
This is my handle bar.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413723073.853611.jpg
It is the only place needs to be cleaned on the exterior of my 97 SPX.

Yeah your way over the hump on this. Can't tell the cherry from the beater anymore if it were not for the decals. Fantastic work as always.

I have already bought the Wipe New but now I'm fired up about using it. I don't think you could ask for a better result.

Matt you are going to love the stuff. I was trying to find anything to use it on. I used it on the dess post ring, the vents, all the caps. I am pretty impressed with the stuff.
[MENTION=68537]Bonmotwang[/MENTION] read the whole thread and you will see where the shine comes from :D

Matt you are going to love the stuff. I was trying to find anything to use it on. I used it on the dess post ring, the vents, all the caps. I am pretty impressed with the stuff.
[MENTION=68537]Bonmotwang[/MENTION] read the whole thread and you will see where the shine comes from :D

Finished the home work. Again, very detailed workmanship. A+++.
I thought the surface of the hull is a layer of clear coating. But according to work you have done, it has some thickness to be sand down a little?

What is the white foam on the handle bar? Is it what inside?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back