96 xp no spark ignition coil test?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brprxt215

Hey guys I got the flywheel issue solved on my XP and it’s running good.so went out on Halloween and picked up a winter project(or so I thought) driveshaft spun by hand so I picked it up for $300 with a trailer. Put my agm battery in and it cranked over good. Tested compression it’s 148 on both holes. Spark checked and has no spark. Today I went out with a volt meter and did a bunch of ohm test on the stator, relay, battery, solenoid, and coil. Everything tested good except the coil. When I pulled the female connectors off the coil and did an ohm reading the manual says between .3-.6 ohm. I was getting .0( I did have the stator plug unplugged not sure if that matters) when I plugged the stator plug back in it I was getting 3.9 ohms. Not sure if I should just replace the coil or if maybe the grounds are corroded not letting it spark. I’m going to try and clean the grounds in the morning but just looking for what you guys would think would cause no spark or any other way to test the coil.Thanks in advance

I had an issue with an SPI that shorted the battery because of a bad rectifier. I too thought the coil in the flywheel was bad cuz I got some bad readings.. A guy talked me out of that and he was correct. Ended up my rectifier. Mine had a dead short and was blowing up the MPEM diode. I feel for you but do your best to identify what is truly bad or it will get expensive.

I can tell you I had a no spark on a 787 that ended up being the pick up or trigger coil. The inside got wet and corroded. ended up with metal on the pick up and it couldn't see the flywheel pass so ... No Spark. Cheap fix but took a a long time and a lot of learning in the process to figure it out. LOL Good Luck !!

Yeah I’m not sure if I need the stator plug plugged into stator cover in order to test the ignition coil in the black box by the battery. Unplugged I got 0 ohms but when I plugged the stator plug back in I got 3.9ohm. I plan on taking stator cover off once I figure out the no spark. I don’t think it’s rectified as the ski turns over fine I don’t believe the rectifier has anything to do with spark just changing the ac current to dc current

This part will prevent the engine from firing. They get particles on the magnet and it can't detect the passage of the trigger point magnet on the rotor. It can't see it, so it won't fire. You can check it using an ohm meter but it won't tell you if is working properly. You'll have to pull the forward engine mount and block the engine up but it isn't a bad job.Mag Cover Painted pick up edit.jpgSeadoo stator Pick up Edit.jpg

You should be able to unplug that trigger on the other end and run DVA test while cranking to see if that is the issue.

Stator I’m assuming is going to be the issue lol

Attachments

• 219DE940-CB9F-4331-B7D3-9B1BB7162F69.jpeg
    219DE940-CB9F-4331-B7D3-9B1BB7162F69.jpeg
    620.5 KB · Views: 24
DANG Bro.... that's way uglier than mine !! Either replace the whole thing or clean it up and use Glyptal paint. in there. That is what the red is. I figured it would just corrode again so I did it up the best I could. Good Luck !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back