96 spx performance issues - need advice

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

k_dog345

Hi, I just finished rebuilding my carbs, fuel system, and replaced my rotary valve cover. My ski runs like a dream when it is running high speeds. But if I let it idle for more than a few seconds, it will start to hesitate on me and want to die. Occasionally it will die, and start up becomes hard. I have to apply full choke and a lot of gas to get it to fire and move past the dead spot. But then runs great again!

Plugs are showing me a rich condition
IMG_2428.JPG
IMG_2429.JPG

I’m not well versed tuning carbs, but I think I need to adjust the low screw? Advice is appreciated.

Sounds like your needles and seats are leaking. Did you use Genuine Mikuni parts and check pop-off and leak down?

Sounds like your needles and seats are leaking. Did you use Genuine Mikuni parts and check pop-off and leak down?

Ugh, that is not the news I wanted to hear. Yes, I used genuine mikuni parts, I checked pop off (and struggled with it, see: 10 psi pop off difference between mag and pto). But I have not performed a leak down test. I also got a new needle/seat. But I couldn't use the new seats, the o rings were too big and I couldn't get them to seat. When I was checking the pop off pressure, I used plenty of wd40. I did not notice any bubbling around the seat, but I wouldn't doubt that maybe that's what is happening because I had to reuse the old seat and oring. So, you're pretty positive it wouldn't be something else? And where should I order another needle/seat if so... I got the needle/seat from Bay Area Powersports on Amazon.

I have never seen a Genuine Mikuni needle and seat not fit.
Yes they need to be replaced and you should not have 10 psi difference between carbs.

I have never seen a Genuine Mikuni needle and seat not fit.
Yes they need to be replaced and you should not have 10 psi difference between carbs.

Mikuni Twin Carb 2 Pack Needle Valve Seat Kit Sea Doo HX SPX GTI XP

This is what I got, reading closer, looks like it's "OEM Quality aftermarket". I'm not sure where to find the genuine needle/seat either, my google searches have turned up nothing for me. Any suggestions on where to get a replacement needle/seat?

There is your issue for one. Aftermarket is junk.

Here is a link to Genuine Mikuni but the inventory from everyone is low so not sure what is up with the supply chain at the moment. Mikuni 1.2.

Just for future reference, the needles and seats should always be kept as a set. Don’t put a new needle in an old seat, as you’ll have issues like this...

Just for future reference, the needles and seats should always be kept as a set. Don’t put a new needle in an old seat, as you’ll have issues like this...

Word. This is exactly what I did! I'm a little confused though, if needle and seat were leaking wouldn't that mean I have flooded carbs? As I said, it took full choke and throttle to get the ski to start again and run up past the dead spot. If the carbs would flooded I would think that giving gas and choke would make the issue worse....

To clarify, if I idle for more than a few seconds it will continue to idle fine. But when I go to take off, this is when the hesitation starts and stall likely happens. And then it is hard to start. I realize my initial wording may of sounded like the ski would start to hesitate and stall at idle. It's only when I attempt to give it throttle out of idle after idling for some time.

Do you guys have a link for instructions on checking pop off? I too have a 1996 SPX Im trying to get running after an engine rebuild. I plan on rebuilding the carbs and want to check all this after rebuilding them.

NVM I found your carb rebuild post @mikidymac. Very nice, thank you for taking the time to post that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back