96 SPX No Power after starter came out on the water... please help!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

zschwalbe4

Hello, I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I can usually get the info I'm looking for by reading old threads but this problem has me stumped because I haven't worked with the electrical system much.

Heres the story: The seadoo is in great shape inside and out. The starter went bad a few months ago so I ordered one online and it turned out that it bolted on but the holes didnt match up for the mounting bracket that holds on the back side. ( I know I should've ordered a new one once i realized this) But I didn't and I hooked it up and took it out for a test ride. Ran great for about 30 minutes til it just shut off. Just like that, no power. After being towed back I noticed the starter had rattled loose and Im guessing the battery lost it's ground causing it to shut off. I bolted the starter back on just so I can turn it over to flush it out with the garden hose. No power. I checked the gray fuse box and found the 5 amp was blown. Replaced it. Still no power. At this point I don't know what to check next. I really appreciate any feedback.

I don't think your issue is related to the starter falling out.

I assume the ground cable was not connected to the starter, if I am correct, then your starter coming out wasn't/isn't the issue.

I would pull the plugs and make sure the engine turns over by hand.
Then I would jump the solenoid to see if the engine cranks. If so, then the battery, cables, connections and starter are good. If not, one of these items is the issue.
If it does crank, then test for voltage at the trigger wire at the solenoid when the lanyard is on and the START button is pressed.

Find this info out and we will go from there.

You mean no power when you connect the lanyard (2 beeps)? Like completely dead? Even with a dead solenoid, you should have the beeps in my experience.

Benji.

I don't think your issue is related to the starter falling out.

I assume the ground cable was not connected to the starter, if I am correct, then your starter coming out wasn't/isn't the issue.

I would pull the plugs and make sure the engine turns over by hand.
Then I would jump the solenoid to see if the engine cranks. If so, then the battery, cables, connections and starter are good. If not, one of these items is the issue.
If it does crank, then test for voltage at the trigger wire at the solenoid when the lanyard is on and the START button is pressed.

Find this info out and we will go from there.

Thank you for the response. The ground cable actually is connected to a flange on the starter. And the engine does turn by hand. What do you mean by jumping the solenoid? Thanks

Your issue is most likely related to the ground coming off. Have you checked all fuses?

96 XP800!
Keep the 2 strokes alive!

You mean no power when you connect the lanyard (2 beeps)? Like completely dead? Even with a dead solenoid, you should have the beeps in my experience.

Benji.

Maybe it's just me, but this ski has never beeped when the lanyard is connected. But I can usually turn on the cluster with the start/stop button and lanyard off. No power at all to the cluster now, lanyard on or off.

Thank you for the response. The ground cable actually is connected to a flange on the starter. And the engine does turn by hand. What do you mean by jumping the solenoid? Thanks

The fact that the ground is attached to the starter, then it could have been what created the present issue.

The starter solenoid has a hot wire on one side as it comes directly from the battery. The other side will only be hot when the solenoid is activated (Start button). If you take pliers or a screwdriver and jump from the side that is fed by the battery to the other side, that is "jumping the solenoid". It WILL spark when you do this.

In your case, I would be adding a second ground wire for sure. Take it right to the block. The flange on the starter could be dirty and you may be getting a poor connection.

I replaced a 5 amp fuse in the gray box and found a 15 amp that was good. how many more are they/ where? The service manual is quite confusing when it comes to the mpem :facepalm:

Benji.

'96 SPX doesn't have a dess key, you will not get any "beeps" when hooking up the lanyard

how does the cluster act when you disconnect the red wire from the starter?. Maybe something shorted closed internal of the starter. Easy thing to check I guess...

The fact that the ground is attached to the starter, then it could have been what created the present issue.

The starter solenoid has a hot wire on one side as it comes directly from the battery. The other side will only be hot when the solenoid is activated (Start button). If you take pliers or a screwdriver and jump from the side that is fed by the battery to the other side, that is "jumping the solenoid". It WILL spark when you do this.

In your case, I would be adding a second ground wire for sure. Take it right to the block. The flange on the starter could be dirty and you may be getting a poor connection.

Okay I will check the solenoid tomorrow and let you know the results. thanks again

how does the cluster act when you disconnect the red wire from the starter?. Maybe something shorted closed internal of the starter. Easy thing to check I guess...

I removed the starter altogether and moved the ground but still no power to the cluster.

If you are sure your connections are good, another possible problem may be the start/stop switch is junk. Find the yellow/red wire in ebox. Test the circuit between the yellow/red wire and solenoid ground, it should be open. Hold down the start/stop button and test, it should be close to 0 ohms

OK, so no beeps on this ski... Sorry... When my own solenoid broke, when I pushed the start button, all I was getting was a "click click" sound (like old cars). Would that apply to a 96 XPS? And now the original poster says that he "can usually turn on the cluster with the start/stop button and lanyard off". So this means that power is completely out.

With a dead solenoid would a XPS still "click click" or not? Just trying to help.

Benji.

If you are sure your connections are good, another possible problem may be the start/stop switch is junk. Find the yellow/red wire in ebox. Test the circuit between the yellow/red wire and solenoid ground, it should be open. Hold down the start/stop button and test, it should be close to 0 ohms

I'm not sure all my connections are good. This is my first ski and I have minimal experience with the electric portion of it. I opened the gray box and found 2 fuses and replaced 1 that was bad. I'm sure there are more fuses to check but I don't know where to look. I will check the start switch tomorrow also when I check the solenoid. Also it looks like I'm going to have to buy an ohm meter.

You can use a simple test light to verify good power and ground wires, but you will definitely want to get a good multi meter if you plan on trouble shooting other issues.

Attempted to jump the solenoid. Got a few sparks but the 5 amp fuse blows as soon as I put a new one in.

If it doesn't crank, you have a starter issue, seized engine, bad cable, or bad battery. No matter about the 5 amp fuse or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it doesn't crank, you have a starter issue, seized engine, bad cable, or bad battery. No matter about the 5 amp fuse or not.

Engine still cranks by hand. i'm getting a new starter regardless and i'll get the battery tested tomorrow. My concern is why I'm not getting power to the cluster. Is it on the same circuit as the starter?

I'm flying right now. Once I land I can pull the schematics to confirm where it is routed from.

Ok I confirmed the starter does not work, and the battery is good. but when it is all hooked up my curcuit tester tells me I have good ground and power, so I can rule out the cables, and the battery. But I still can't figure out why the cluster doesn't turn on regardless if the starter works, because the circuit is complete. I must be missing something here. All opinions are appreciated, thanks

I confirmed the start/stop button does work. Any idea which wire(s) I test for the cluster? Thanks

I'm getting power through the solenoid, can I rule out the mpem? Could it be as simple as a blown fuse that I haven't found yet? I found 3 fuses in the gray box, 5, 7.5, and 15. Are there other fuses that I'm not checking? Or should I be looking at replacing the mpem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back