96 SPI fuel problem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big.meaty.claws

As the title says, I have a 96 SPI with some sort of a fuel issue. It ran fine two trips in a row in June but then I let it sit for all of July and today it would not start. It will run if I put premix in the air intake, but it won't start or run on its own. Watching the fuel lines, as I'm trying to start it I can see an air bubble pulse back and forth in the supply fuel line to the carburetor. This line came off and some of the fuel drained out, that's why there's air in it. I've ordered a fuel switch/petcock, but is there anything else that I should be looking at first? All original fuel lines have been replaced, and I don't know the last time it had a carb/pump rebuild. The fuel gauge is not working but I haven't tested the baffle yet. Thanks in advance.

I generally block of the fuel lines at the baffle and pressure test the system. I have a hand pump that can apply pressure or vacuum. First I do a vacuum test. If the system is sucking air I'll know right away. You can cycle the fuel valve and test the "Reserve" and "On" lines. If you have a leak you can then pressurize the system and look for leaks. Sometimes I use soap bubbles. Most leaks I find are the fuel separator or the fuel selector.

At times I disconnect the pulse line from the carb and connect a clean line long enough to reach my mouth. Then, I install a clean clear line to ehe carb from a fuel source. I actuation the carb fuel pump with a puff of air back and forth. The fuel should be drawn up into the carb and should not flow backwards when you stop. It doesn't take long.

That's How I do It. LOL Good Luck !!

So what I did is pull the baffle and water separator and cleaned their filters, replaced an in line filter a prior owner put in, sprayed carb cleaner in both lines that go into the pump, and replaced the petcock/fuel switch. Runs like a charm now, so who knows which one it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back